Chapter 46

Irin took Becky and me to the mall to shop for some things we needed. However, someone called her along the way, and she mentioned she was needed elsewhere. Despite not wanting to leave us, she had no choice.

Becky suggested going to a cafe, and I followed. We sat in silence, focusing on our food. I could sense that she wanted some distance from me.

"Freen?" I heard a familiar voice and turned to see Engfa, looking more beautiful than ever. "And Becky?" She almost clapped upon seeing us together.

"Hello," I greeted.

"I told you, Freen. You two will meet again, and this time it would be right," Engfa said with a smile. Noticing our lack of reaction, she felt awkward. "I'm sorry. Anyway, nice to meet you again, Freen. I have to go." She patted my shoulder, and I nodded.

"Have you two been in contact?" Becky asked.

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "I left everything behind."

Becky nodded and sipped her coffee. "How does it feel?"

I looked at her, puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"How does it feel to leave someone and come back as if nothing happened?" Becky asked, placing her drink down. "I didn't know you could be this naïve, Freen." She stood up and left the cafe.

I followed her back to the house, realizing there were no maids around. I grabbed her arms, making her face me.

"Why are you acting like this? I thought you moved on?" I asked.

Becky's eyes welled up with tears, so I let go of her arms. "Moved on? I have, Freen. I can live my life without you now. I no longer remember the pain you gave me! I no longer remember how you left me when I needed you the most!"

I was taken aback. It was my fault; I hadn't told her the truth. I pushed her away, telling her I couldn't be the person she wanted me to be.

"I asked you to stay, Freen. Remember? I even accepted being your secret love just to make you stay!" Becky yelled. "I feel so low because I love you so much. But what did you do? You thought I was just a kid and didn't know what love really means! You thought I was just playing around. I didn't even hear that you love me, Freen. You didn't tell me you did!" She was about to leave when I pulled her into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, Becky. Please, hear me out," I whispered, but Becky pushed me away.

"Did you hear my plea when I asked you to stay? When I begged? I'm done, Freen. I don't want to see you anymore. If it wasn't for my brother who took care of me for the past years, I wouldn't let you in. I wouldn't let myself hurt by seeing your face again," she said.

"What do you want me to do for you to forgive me?" I asked, tears running down my face.

"Nothing, Freen. You won't get my forgiveness. I suffered a lot. And this time, I want you to suffer too. I once asked you to stay, but now I'm asking you to leave. Leave me alone, Freen. If you truly care for my feelings. Leave me alone." Becky sniffled. "It hurts, Freen. It hurts right here to see you." She pointed to her heart, and then I remembered she had a heart disease. I was making her suffer more.

"You really want me to leave?" I asked as I approached her again and reached for her hand. "Is that really it?"

Becky slowly nodded as she cried. "Yes, please. And don't come back ever again."

***

I packed all my things into my luggage and informed the maid that I was leaving in case Richie returned and didn't find me here.

I wasn't mad at Becky; I didn't have the right to be. It was all my fault. Even if I told her it wasn't my choice, nothing good would come of it. She waited for me even though I didn't ask her to. She tried so hard to return to the life she used to have.

"Miss Freen, Mr. Richie called and said he was on his way. Can you wait for him a little bit?" the head maid asked.

I stopped for a while. What would happen? He would only stop me from leaving if I waited for him. This wouldn't be good.

"Tell him that I already left," I said to the head maid, grabbing my luggage. But before I could leave the room, I saw Richie standing in the doorway.

"You can leave us," he said to the head maid. "What happened?" He turned to me.

"I'm leaving, Richie. I can't hurt your sister anymore. She's hurting just by seeing me here," I explained, attempting to go out, but he stopped me.

"One more week, Freen." Richie swallowed hard. "Please."

"Can't you hear me? Becky doesn't want to see me anymore. She's chasing me away, and I can't just watch her get frustrated every time she sees me." I pushed him aside, but he was too strong.

"I have to leave, Freen. To fix your mess, Heng called me!" he yelled. "He was asking for my help. So I needed to go to their company and stay there. How could I do that if no one's going to be here for my sister? Irin needs to work most of the time now."

"I'll fix my own mess." I averted my gaze.

"If you can, why did you come back here?" Richie asked. "You know Becky, Freen. More than anyone else. You know that sometimes she doesn't mean what she says. You're just going to give up on her just like that?"

"I just don't want to see her cry like earlier." I explained. "It hurts me too, Richie. It's all my fault. I understand where she's coming from."

"And do you know how much she waited for your return? Do you remember when I told you she's a playgirl? She didn't entertain anyone after you." Richie reached for my hand. "Please, stay for a while, Freen. This is for you and for Becky. I'll fix your issue in the company, while you fix your mess here. Do you understand?"

I slowly nodded. "What if she begged me to leave again?"

"Just get out of her sight. She just doesn't want to see you right now, but it doesn't mean she never wants to see you again." Richie ruffled my hair and chuckled.

However, I was still not convinced that Becky would treat me the same way she did before.