Chapter 54

As Milk departed, a heavy silence enveloped us. I couldn't decipher her intentions. Was she upset with Freen for leaving me? Had she overheard our conversation?

"Do you know her?" Freen's tone dripped with anger, her expression tense. "Is she really a friend?"

"She's my neighbor. A friend. The only one I know in this building," I sighed, feeling the weight of the situation. Instead of Freen pursuing me, now I found myself chasing her, all because of Milk's presence.

"Then stay at my place. I don't want her near you," she insisted.

"Why?" I questioned, furrowing my brows. "I have my own place, and I intend to stay here!"

"I'm damn jealous, Becky! I know I have no right at the moment, but I want you to be mine and mine only! Do you understand?" Freen's frustration boiled over as she yelled, running her fingers through her hair. "If I could be with you all the time, I would, but as I've told you, I have work. I need to work for our future. And I can't just abandon my responsibilities."

"Then don't make promises you can't keep," I averted my gaze, acknowledging my role in the situation. I hadn't expected her to focus solely on me, but why did I feel so hurt? "Go back. I won't ask for anyone's help if that's what you want."

Freen sighed, then knelt in front of me, meeting my eyes. "I'm sorry." She kissed my forehead, cupping my cheeks with a sigh, her apologetic gaze meeting mine. "I just love you so much, and I don't want others to do what I should be doing. I'm sorry," she said softly, gently caressing my cheeks.

I simply nodded, and she offered a sad smile. Freen headed to the kitchen and began washing the dishes while I watched from the couch, observing her hurt and frustration. Now she could understand what I had felt before. But was this the right way? Hurting her wasn't the only path to making her understand.

"Freen," I called out as she finished cleaning. She looked at me, raising her brows.

"What?" she asked, walking toward me. "Need something?"

"Nothing," I shook my head.

Freen smiled and kissed my forehead. "I'll help you shower. Come on."

"Wait, what? No!" I protested. "I mean, I can manage slowly. Plus, I have a bathtub. I can handle it myself."

"Come on, Becky. I see right through you. What are you trying to hide?" she asked, furrowing her brows. She wasn't teasing; she genuinely wanted to help.

"It's not that," I felt my cheeks flush. "You're impossible." I voiced out instead of cursing her.

"Let's go, don't be shy," she urged, helping me to stand and guiding me to the bathroom.

Even though I could undress on my own, Freen insisted on helping, slowly pulling my shirt over my head. I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I was capable, but she wouldn't let me.

"Freen, please," I pleaded. "You can go now. Go to my room and find my clothes. That way, you can help me."

"As long as I can, I will," Freen's voice softened. "Take off your shorts. Can you?"

"Freen, just go," I insisted, my face redder than a tomato now, feeling exposed in front of her. She could see—

"Fine," she relented, raising her hands and chuckling. "Call me if you need help."

"Thank you," I whispered as she left.

After shower, Freen helped me get dressed and settled me onto the bed. She even blow-dried my hair, despite my protests that it would air-dry just fine. She was unusually attentive, ignoring her buzzing phone throughout.

"Answer it," I urged. "It's okay."

"It's just Heng. He keeps pestering me about hiring a new secretary," Freen shrugged.

"Why? Don't you already have one? You're the CEO," I furrowed my brows. "That's why you're always so busy, because you handle everything. Get one," I suggested.

"They want me to hire someone they recommend. I can't remember her name, but I don't like rookies. What if she makes too many mistakes? I need someone with experience," she explained, switching off the blow dryer and placing it on the cabinet.

"She needs experience, Freen. You can teach her," I suggested. "At least Heng knows she's capable. If I applied for the position, what would you do? Even though I have experience as a secretary, would you hire me even if I don't know your field?" I inquired.

"If it were you, why not?" Freen wiggled her eyebrows, and I playfully punched her.

"Then hire her," I smiled. "You need someone to assist you, and I can't because I didn't finish school, right? She knows the job better."

"Fine," she agreed, grabbing her phone. She dialed Heng's number, and after three rings, he picked up. "Hire her. Make sure she knows what she's doing, or I'll let her go immediately. Arrange for someone to train her; I won't be doing it." She ended the call and sighed.

"You're not exactly the ideal CEO, you know," I teased, raising my eyebrows. "Employees need a CEO who's understanding yet firm, someone who fosters a conducive work environment. How can they perform well if they're intimidated every time you're around?"

"Ugh," Freen rolled her eyes and settled beside me. "If only my last secretary hadn't quit, I wouldn't be dealing with this."

"Take a break for a while. Let Heng handle it," I suggested, running my fingers through her hair as she closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry for burdening you with all of this," Freen whispered.

"It's alright," I reassured silently. Soon, I'd willingly shoulder all her burdens, if only I could.