Chapter 30

The night exuded a clandestine allure as the grand doors of the lavish lobby swung open, revealing an acquaintance party venue transformed into a world of mafia mystique. Dimly lit chandeliers cast flickering shadows on the opulent surroundings, while the air carried the scent of cigar smoke and hushed conversations. The atmosphere pulsed with an air of secrecy, as elegantly dressed guests strolled through the grand ballroom in sleek, tailored suits and glamorous dresses. A jazz band in the corner set the tone with sultry tunes, and the symphony of clinking glasses and laughter created an ambiance of intrigue.

Vintage playing cards and poker chips adorned tables, inviting students to partake in a game of chance. The room sparkled with a mix of gold and red accents, reminiscent of a bygone era of mobsters and speakeasies. A faux vault in one corner added an element of suspense, tempting curious students to explore its secrets.

"What's inside?" Richie asked, eyeing the safe with curiosity.

"They said the winner of the party gets what's inside. It's a random prize," Freen replied.

The two made their way to their seats, observing students playfully engaging with fake cigar smoke. Suddenly, a group of students approached Freen, asking if they could take a picture.

"I've been wanting to buy this dress, and it looks good on you," a blonde complimented, eyeing Freen's gown.

A gown of midnight black silk, caressed by the soft glow of concealed spotlights, cascaded in a sinuous silhouette that whispered of forbidden allure. The neckline, a daring plunge reminiscent of secrets exchanged in the shadows, was adorned with intricate lace, tracing a delicate dance across the décolletage. The boutique's description echoed in Freen's mind, the owner emphasizing the clandestine nature of underworld dealings. Richie had repeated it more than ten times during the purchase, making it impossible for Freen to forget.

The group of girls returned to their activities, and Freen sat, feeling a desire to go home already. If only she hadn't been nominated, she wouldn't be here, wearing this elegant but uncomfortable gown. She couldn't fathom why Richie had bought it for her when she didn't even enjoy wearing dresses. Renting one would have sufficed, making this expensive attire seem like a waste for a one-time occasion.

"Aren't you going to dance?" Richie suggested, gesturing towards the lively dancefloor where everyone was enjoying themselves.

"I don't want to dance. You can go," Freen responded, leaning back in her seat.

"Heng told me he wanted to have a dance with you," Richie added, sighing. "Can you do me a favor and accept it?"

"Why? I thought you were jealous?" Freen chuckled, teasing him.

"Oh, come on, Freen. I told you I know my place already." Richie laughed.

Heng appeared, confirming his wish to dance with Freen. She agreed, and they swayed to a soft, mellow melody. Freen rested her head on his chest, listening to the rhythmic beats of his heart.

"Anyway, I'm sorry for last time. I thought you were following me," Freen started the conversation.

"It's fine. It's my fault anyway for making you feel uncomfortable around me." Heng chuckled. "I heard you're a Chankimha."

"Yes. Why?" Freen asked, meeting his gaze. Was her suspicion correct? Was he the son of the chairman of Pinitkanjanapun Group? If so, this guy was undeniably filthy rich.

"I remember someone who's working in my father's company. He's a Chankimha, too. A great CEO. He's a good friend of my father, and we were very close." Heng smiled, maintaining the warmth in his eyes.

"CEO of Pinitkanjanapun Electronics?" Freen inquired. "That's my father."

"Really?" Heng asked, laughing. "A very small world indeed. Don't worry; once I go back there, I'll tell your father how good you and your best friend have been to me. He'll reward you for sure."

"We're not close." Freen bit her lower lip. "I grew up with my aunt, so we're not close. You don't have to mention me."

The song concluded, and Heng nodded. They returned to their seats, where Richie awaited an explanation. Freen ignored him and patiently waited for the party to conclude. However, it took hours before the council decided to announce the winner.

"The best couple in this year's acquaintance party is none other than..." The host began, but Freen remained poker-faced as she wasn't interested. "From the College of Engineering!"

Applause filled the room, and Richie smiled at Freen, extending his hand to help her stand. They approached the mini stage, accepting the crown and bouquet from the safe, and smiled at their fellow students. The teasing continued, with requests for a kiss.

Richie looked at Freen and smiled. "Can I?"

Though hesitant, Freen nodded. Richie leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on Freen's forehead, sending the crowd into a frenzy. They smiled at the audience before descending the stage.

"Congratulations!" Engfa hugged Freen. "Are you going home now?"

"Yeah. My aunt wants to see me wearing this dress. I just don't know if she's still awake." Freen sighed.

Engfa took Freen's crown and bouquet, motioning for her to go with Richie. She seemed excited, and Freen was curious about her intentions. Whenever she was with Richie, Engfa's face turned expressionless, but now she was pushing Freen to go with him.

"Let's go home," Richie pulled Freen's hand, and they headed to the parking lot. Richie's demeanor had changed; he looked tired earlier, but now he seemed energized.

After a few minutes, Freen arrived at her house, and Richie smiled as he waved goodbye. Intrigued, Freen entered the house to find a surprise.

Deli was there. And her father...

"Congratulations. We saw the livestream. You look good," Deli said, motioning for Freen to sit on the couch.

"What is he doing here?" Freen asked, pointing towards her father. Was this the reason why Richie looked excited? He knew she wasn't close to her father. Why did they have to bring him here?

"I'm leaving. I'm just here to see you for a while," her father said, and a sinister silence fell.

"That's not what I meant, sorry." Freen lowered her gaze. "You can stay. I'll just breathe some fresh air in the garden."

Freen went to the garden and sighed. It seemed she couldn't convince her aunt about this anymore. She was sure that her aunt would give her to her father.

"You looked so stressed, baby. What's bothering you?" Someone hugged Freen from behind, and her heart pounded instantaneously. "Care to tell me?" She turned around to see Becky, smiling from ear to ear.