Chapter 42

Richie left early in the morning, and Irin took him to the airport, while Becky decided to stay behind. He informed me that the duration of his absence depended on the client meeting, but based on my estimation, it would likely take less than a week.

"Hello, Ms. Freen. Mr. Richie mentioned that if you'd like to take a dip in the pool, just let us know. If you want to visit the ranch, feel free to call William; he can fetch you. There's plenty to do here during your vacation," the head smiled at me. I could tell she still recognized me after all these years.

"I'll have breakfast first. What time did Richie leave?" I inquired.

"He left at five in the morning. Ms. Irin brought him to the airport. As for Ms. Becky—" I interrupted the head maid.

"It's fine. That's all I want to know," I said and headed to the dining area, where I noticed Becky eating alone without inviting others to join her. She seemed isolated.

"Ms. Freen, how would you like your eggs?" another maid asked.

"Fried over easy, please," I smiled and deliberately sat away from Becky.

"Stop treating yourself like you don't belong here," Becky remarked, her expression blank as she looked at me. "You're my brother's guest. Feel free to move around. But don't expect me to show it to you." She continued eating.

"It's fine. I won't stay for too long," I replied, awaiting my eggs.

During the meal, a tense silence lingered between us. I couldn't understand why the atmosphere felt so dense, even though the room was somewhat cold. The maids seemed to sense it too, so I cleared my throat to alleviate the awkwardness.

"Anyway, can I ask?" I inquired, though I already knew I was asking.

"As long as it's not personal, go on," Becky responded without looking my way.

"You know I work in an electronics company, and I wanted to ask if you're also in the same field as me?" I recalled her father's desire for her to pursue ECE.

"No, I didn't graduate. I stopped schooling and learned to make wines. I have a business," Becky replied, wiping sauce off her face. "If you need an investor, ask Richie. He's wealthier than me. Plus, he's into technology. You two would make great partners." She half-smiled and left the dining area.

I nodded slowly, noticing the disappointment in the head maid's eyes. Perhaps, she wondered why Becky and I had grown distant. Once, we were close, but now we couldn't even look at each other.

Instead of pressuring Becky, I followed the maid's instructions and called a man named William. Richie hadn't fully introduced him to me, so seeing him surprised me; I had expected an older man.

"You must be Ms. Freen? I'm William. I'm the head equestrian here," he greeted, extending his hand, which I accepted. "Anyway, what do you want to do? Learn horse riding first, or would you like to ride with me and let me tour you around the vineyard?"

I hesitated for a moment. Becky had mentioned she was running this wine business because she stopped studying. If I accepted William's offer, there was a chance we might cross paths there.

"I'll learn horse riding first," I smiled.

William led me to a small house where proper equestrian attire could be found. He emphasized the importance of dressing appropriately to fully appreciate horse riding, showcasing his passion for it. After changing, I found him outside, holding the reins of a tall horse that looked challenging to climb.

Feeling a mix of excitement and nervousness, I approached the majestic horse, guided by William.

"Step closer, Freen, and meet our friend, Stormrider," William encouraged.

"I... uh, nice to meet you, Stormrider," I stammered, gently patting the horse's neck.

William chuckled, "No worries, Freen. Now, let's get you up in the saddle. Place your left foot in the stirrup, then swing your right leg over."

With a careful boost, I found myself in the saddle, hands gripping the reins. "This is higher than I expected," I admitted, a nervous smile on my lips.

William, with a gentle smile, explained the basics of mounting and finding balance. "Relax, Freen. You're doing great. Now, loosen your grip on the reins and let Stormrider feel your presence."

I nodded, trying to follow William's guidance. From atop Stormrider, the world looked different – a mix of exhilaration and vulnerability. "I never thought I'd be sitting on a horse," I admitted, scanning the vast expanse around us.

William chuckled, "Life is full of surprises. Now, let's start with a walk." He explained the reins and leg cues, guiding me through the initial movements.

As we began a slow walk, each step building my confidence, I couldn't help but grin. "This is incredible! I never thought riding would feel so... free."

Under William's watchful eye, I learned to communicate with Stormrider through subtle shifts and cues. "You're a natural, Freen," William praised as we navigated the open field.

The wind whispered through my hair as the bond between rider and horse deepened. But before I could fully enjoy it, I noticed Becky in the distance, effortlessly riding a horse. She looked natural and stunning, her hair swaying with the wind.

"Do you know Ms. Becky?" William asked. "She's a great equestrian. She taught me how to ride. That's why I admire her so much."

"You like her?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"No," he said, waving his hands as he chuckled. "I idolize her. She's a kind-hearted woman. But she seems distant to everyone. A nonchalant but caring one."

I looked at Becky again and smiled. Perhaps I influenced her to be that way, but it was okay now. At least, she knew how to protect her heart this time.