Chapter 56

Later that evening, Freen messaged me, saying she would stay at my place for the night since she had an early meeting. I didn't refuse; besides missing her, I wanted to know how her day went. Was her secretary okay? Would she be comfortable around her? And I wanted to get a sense of what kind of person she was.

Minutes passed, and I heard knocks on my door. I hurriedly opened it and saw that it was just Milk, carrying a bottle of wine.

"In case you want to try this," she said, handing it to me before leaving.

I furrowed my brows but accepted it. Before I could close the door, I saw Freen walking toward me. My face lit up seeing her. I didn't know why, but I missed her so much.

"What's that?" Freen asked, looking at the bottle in my hands. "Wine? Do you want to drink tonight?"

"No, Milk came and gave it to me," I replied.

Her expression changed, and she nodded. She entered, placing the food on the table, completely ignoring me after what I said. Should I have lied? Milk and I hadn't done anything wrong; I was just helping her out because I was bored.

"What's with you and Milk today? You haven't been talking to her the last few days," Freen mentioned, gesturing for me to sit and eat.

"Actually, I have to tell you something," I said, biting my lower lip. "I applied as Milk's salesperson at her wine shop. You know how much I love wines, right?" I couldn't tell her I was just bored; she'd definitely scold me. After refusing to be her secretary, now I was here looking for something to do?

"Yeah," Freen nodded, still not meeting my gaze. I could feel that she was mad again. "Eat up. Then let's rest."

"Aren't you going to tell me about your new secretary?" I asked.

Freen sighed and finally looked at me. "If you were her, I would be more willing to teach her." She stood up and went to the kitchen, not eating. She was fuming mad.

"I'll head to bed first. You can wash that, right?" Freen asked.

"I'm sorry," I said.

Freen furrowed her brows. "For what?"

"Milk and I are just friends, Freen. No, less than that. She's cold, she's rude, and everything you would hate about a girl. I would never fall for her," I explained.

"In case you forgot, Bec. You're a red flag enjoyer," Freen sighed, running her fingers through her hair. "You liked me before because you thought I was nonchalant, didn't you? You're attracted to girls like her. And I knew that. I was aware."

"What are you trying to say? That I'm cheating? We're not together, Freen. We didn't have labels. Why are you acting like such a jealous girlfriend?" I yelled.

Freen was taken aback. "Is that so? I'm sorry. I thought we were something," she said before walking inside the room. The atmosphere became heavy.

I couldn't finish my meal, putting the dishes in the sink as I strode heavily towards the room. I saw Freen there, looking out the window while wiping her tears. Did I hurt her that much? I slowly walked towards her and hugged her from behind. Freen gulped and caressed my hands on her waist.

"I'm sorry if I left you before. I'm sorry if I didn't fight for us," she sniffled. "But I was a coward then, Bec. And I am not now. I'm willing to give everything for you. You want me to resign as CEO? I will! I will take care of you. I will do everything to have you back. Just tell me what you want."

My heart warmed at her words. Was she really going to do this? Or was it another lie? However, her tone was sincere and hurt. Freen loved me so much.

"I can't take seeing you with Milk. But if that wine shop is your happiness now, then promise me something," Freen turned to face me. "That I will be the only woman in your eyes."

I simply nodded and hugged her tight. I wanted to give up. I wanted to tell her how much I love her too. I wanted to let my guard down, but what would happen if I did that? What would happen if she repeated her mistakes? What would happen if she became a coward again?

I looked up and saw Freen's teary eyes. Damn, I love this woman so much, but I was slowly hurting her. We were only hurting each other. But I didn't want to let go. Perhaps, soon would be better.

"But don't resign, Freen. I know you love that company so much. I'll try to find another job and place if you want me to. I'm sorry for hurting you," I whispered, hugging her tightly.

"I trust you, Bec. Just do whatever you want. But please, don't leave me, okay? Please, let me have you back, and this time I will love you better," she caressed my back.

You already did, Freen. I felt the love you wanted to convey. But I was afraid. I was afraid that giving you my all would hurt me again. I wasn't that strong. And this time, if you happened to leave me, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I could still face you.