Chapter 8

Freen woke up early, determined to tackle the aftermath of the previous night's chaos. Despite a pounding headache, she mustered the strength to descend the stairs. To her surprise, she discovered she was the first one awake, unable to spot Deli anywhere. Undeterred, Freen initiated the cleanup, starting with the scattered plastic cups in the living room.

As Freen diligently mopped the floor, she heard approaching footsteps. Assuming it was her aunt, she grinned, but her smile quickly faded when she saw Becky.

"Why are you here?" Freen asked with a hint of suspicion.

"Good morning! What can I do to help?" Becky cheerfully responded, snatching the mop from Freen. "I've got this. You can handle the other parts of the house."

Baffled by Becky's unexpected eagerness to assist with household chores, Freen headed to the kitchen with furrowed brows. She knew Becky came from a well-off family, unaccustomed to such tasks due to the presence of numerous maids. However, witnessing Becky's efforts felt different.

Becky continued cleaning, even taking care of the pool and ensuring it was spotless. Deli, impressed by Becky's work, suggested a breakfast break.

"You okay?" Deli asked Becky. "Let's have breakfast. I'll cook Freen's favorite." She winked at Becky, who chuckled in response.

Freen felt awkward seeing Becky follow her aunt. Despite wanting to protest, she couldn't turn away someone who had been so helpful. Deli went the extra mile, seating Becky beside her and serving food on her plate.

Becky's demeanor had shifted from the last time Freen saw her at the dining table. She radiated happiness, a stark contrast to the 'little demon' Richie often referred to. Speaking of Richie, where was he? Did he leave his sister here?

"Where's Richie? Why are you the only one here?" Freen asked Becky.

Deli laughed, exchanging glances with Becky before turning to Freen. "You were pretty drunk last night, don't you remember?"

"What? I didn't drink." Freen furrowed her brows. "I did?"

"Yep. After our chat in the garden, you downed a lot of tequila. You were completely wasted," Becky said, nonchalantly continuing to eat.

"Becky took care of you. When Richie mentioned they needed to go home, you clung to Becky, crying because you didn't want her to leave." Deli laughed. "First time I've seen you beg, Freen. Quite entertaining."

Freen blushed, but Becky didn't boast as she normally would. Instead, she quietly enjoyed her meal, letting Deli playfully tease Freen.

"By the way, Becky, are you staying here for good? Richie mentioned last night that you're not going back to London," Deli inquired.

"Yeah. I decided to stay since my dad won't return there anymore. I'll also be attending Nexus University," Becky replied with a smile.

"You're in college too?" Deli asked.

"No, last year of senior high. Richie is two years older, but since he took a break during high school, our school levels aligned. Now we're going to the same school together," Becky explained.

"Oh, so Freen is only a year older than you? Richie used to be her senior, always teasing each other. Then, due to Richie's accident, he had to pause. The next year, they were in the same grade. And now, they're heading to college together." Deli teased Freen with a knowing look. Freen gestured her aunt to talk to Becky instead of teasing her more. "What about you, Becky? Any thoughts on what program you'd like to pursue in college?"

"I'm still undecided, but my father wants me to take Electronics Engineering for our business," Becky shrugged and chuckled.

"It's alright, Becky. You'll figure it out. Talk to your father when you've made a decision. For now, you can explore his suggestion," Deli advised, smiling warmly at her.

Freen observed the mother-daughter-like bonding between Deli and Becky. She wasn't jealous, but a sense of sympathy arose for Becky, who must be grappling with family issues. Freen couldn't fathom why Richie had so much freedom compared to Becky.

"Freen?" Deli brought her back to reality.

"Yes, Aunt?" Freen responded.

"Can you plant the flowers I ordered yesterday? I'm heading to a friend's, but I'll help when I return. Is that alright, sweetie?" Deli gently caressed Freen's hand.

"That's fine. I can manage. Don't worry about it," Freen assured her.

"Don't worry, Deli. I'll assist her," Becky chimed in with a smile.

Freen glanced at Becky, who quickly averted her gaze. Despite Becky's help the previous night, Freen couldn't shake off the unease. What if Becky caused trouble again?

"Alright, make sure you two plant the flowers and not engage in a battle, okay?" Deli teased Freen, sensing her annoyance towards Becky. "And what do you want for lunch? I'll grab something outside," she added.

"It's alright, Aunt. I can cook for myself," Freen awkwardly smiled.

"But what about Becky?" Deli turned to Becky. "Cook for yourself, or maybe whip up something for my niece as a peace offering." Deli winked at her.

Freen's eyes widened. Did Becky spill the beans about their situation to her aunt? What did she mean by a peace offering?

"It's fine, Deli. She doesn't know," Becky reassured, winking at Freen's aunt. The two burst into laughter, even sharing a high-five, leaving Freen more intrigued than ever.