Chapter 20

The night weighed heavy on Freen as she returned to her dorm at midnight. The confrontation with Becky left her questioning herself. Was Becky offended because she wanted to keep her as a friend? Did Becky really have feelings for her? Freen couldn't comprehend why someone like Becky would like her, just a normal girl. The entire situation left her in a state of confusion.

Freen wasn't homophobic, but committing to someone of the same gender felt unusual to her. The potential consequences weighed on her mind. What if she dated a girl? How would they handle things like menstruation?

"Fudge," she muttered, massaging her temples as she entered the building.

Before she could reach her dorm, Freen spotted Richie waiting for her. He seemed worried, pacing back and forth. When their eyes met, Richie hurriedly approached and hugged her tightly.

"I called your aunt, and she said you didn't go there. I also called Becky, but she said you weren't there. I don't know where to find you," Richie whispered, kissing the top of her head.

Freen looked at her best friend and felt a surge of guilt. How could she do this to him? It felt like a betrayal.

"Richie, I want to sleep. I'm tired," Freen said, removing herself from the embrace. She glanced around to see if anyone saw them and noticed Becky standing from afar.

"Is that Becky?" Richie asked.

"Yes," Freen replied but ignored her, walking inside the building and entering her dorm.

Confused and troubled, Freen didn't know what to feel. Was it her fault, or was Becky overreacting?

Taking a quick bath, Freen settled onto her bed. Just as she was about to lie down, there were multiple knocks on the door. She rolled her eyes and opened it without hesitation.

"What are you doing here?" It was Engfa. Freen knew that with Engfa's return, she would continue to be a presence in her life, offering comfort and leaving without saying anything.

"Are you sulking?" Engfa asked, raising the plastic bag she brought. "I bought chicken. I heard you haven't eaten yet."

"Who told you?" Freen asked.

"My instincts," Engfa said, entering the dorm room. She settled on the couch, placing the food on the table.

"I'm going to sleep. Can't you have them in your room?" Freen asked, annoyed.

"I can't because I'm sharing this with you," Engfa replied, putting a whole drumstick in Freen's mouth before she could protest. "Besides, I could hear your best friend in the next room fighting with someone, perhaps with his sister," Engfa said, nonchalantly eating the chicken.

"You know them?" Freen asked, joining her on the couch as her hunger took over.

"Of course. They are just next doors. I always saw Becky visiting her brother. They were so close, you know? I don't know why they are fighting." Engfa explained.

"Did you hear them?" Freen asked.

"I just heard the word London." Engfa shrugged and continued eating.

Freen now understood why they were fighting. Perhaps, Becky wanted to return to London, and Richie was against it.

"Can you stay here for a bit?" Freen asked Engfa, and she gave her a thumbs up.

Instead of returning to her dorm, Freen went outside to check if Becky was still there. Surprisingly, she found Becky under a tree, smoking. It was past curfew, and the gate might be closed.

"You should come up. If the council sees you here, they'll definitely ban you from coming here," Freen said, approaching Becky.

However, Becky ignored her.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm a bit insensitive with the things I said. I just can't believe that you'll actually fall for someone like me," Freen apologized.

"You're degrading yourself," Becky responded, smoking again and sighing. "Go back. If the council sees you, they will punish you."

"I'm not leaving until you change your mind." Freen tried to threaten her. "I want you to stay, Becky. But I can't give you what you want for now."

"That's why I'm leaving. There's no reason to stay, Freen." Becky looked at her in the eyes. "I won't wait for something that I don't know if it will happen. And I'm not forcing you to like me back. Do you know how hard it is for me to accept that I like you? That I like my brother's best friend? Everyone likes him for you, even your aunt, Freen. They're telling the truth, though. If you date him, you would be the luckiest woman because of his personality and background."

"But I don't want to be the luckiest woman, Becky." Freen lowered her head. "I just want... I just want you to stay."

Becky chuckled, threw her cigarette on the floor, and gently stepped on it. "What if one day, you fall for him? Can I leave then?"

Freen didn't know. She couldn't give her assurance. But she didn't want Becky to leave.

"I'm not sure. But right now, please, don't leave, Bec." Freen reached for her hand, feeling nervous.

"I'm sorry, Freen. But I can't stay in one place with you. Or else, this infatuation will turn into love. And I don't want to fall in love with someone like you." Becky removed her hands and walked away.

Freen felt a sharp pain in her chest. Becky was leaving to prevent herself from falling for her, knowing that Freen wouldn't catch her.

"What if I like you too, Bec?" Freen called out, but Becky was too far for her to hear those words. "What if I let my guard down and fall for you too?"