Chapter 13

Freen and Richie headed to the cafeteria for lunch, but Richie noticed a palpable silence enveloping his best friend. Despite his attempts to engage her in conversation, Freen remained lost in deep thoughts, her gaze fixed on the distant horizon while mechanically picking at her food.

Becky, noticing Freen's unusual behavior, joined them at the table, tray in hand. "What's going on with her?" she inquired, taking a seat across from them.

"Seems like she's drifting away again," Richie remarked, his brow furrowing. "And why are you here? You're not supposed to be in this cafeteria."

Becky stuck out her tongue playfully. "Rules are meant to be broken, big brother. Besides, no uniforms yet; they won't know I'm not an Engineering student." She shifted her attention to Freen. "What's got her so absorbed?"

Richie sighed. "She's been like this for almost an hour. I don't know what happened. She seemed fine last night."

Meanwhile, Freen's mind was consumed by the revelations about Gulf from the previous night. Anger burned within her, and she grappled with the decision to confront him. She had turned a blind eye to his infidelity for too long, but now she felt a deep sense of betrayal. Determined to end things, she couldn't bear the guilt of being the one to cheat while Gulf was indifferent to her feelings.

For nearly a year, Freen had devoted herself to him, trying everything to make the relationship work. However, the realization hit her that Gulf had merely been toying with her emotions.

"That's it. I'm leaving," Freen declared, catching the attention of Becky and Richie.

Richie reached for her hand, sensing that something serious was bothering Freen. "Where are you going? You haven't finished your food," he pointed to the untouched tray.

Freen glanced at it and turned to Becky, offering her the food with a sweet smile. "You need to eat more," she said.

Becky furrowed her brows, puzzled by Freen's unusual behavior. She couldn't fathom what might have triggered such a change.

"Where are you going, Sarocha? I won't let you leave until you tell me," Richie insisted, pulling her back to her seat.

Freen looked at her best friend, struggling to find the words. Unsure of how to disclose the truth about Gulf, she hesitated, aware that Richie had endured enough of her relationship woes in recent weeks.

"After your conversation with that second-year rep, you became like this," Richie scolded, locking eyes with her. "Tell me, Freen. You know I'm here for you, right?"

As Freen gazed into Richie's eyes, she found solace and a sense of belonging she had never felt with Gulf. Shaking off those emotions, she couldn't afford to fall for her best friend while still entangled with someone else.

"Are you okay?" Becky asked, reaching for Freen's hand. "Do you want me to come with you? Where are you going?"

Becky, the girl Freen had shared an intimate night with, was more than just a passing curiosity. She had found a true friend in Becky, someone who would believe her even if others doubted.

"I spoke to the second-year rep last night. She saw Gulf with someone and told me if I want to confront him, I should go to his football player friends. They'll give me the key to his dorm. I'm sure I can catch him in the act this time," Freen explained.

"He's really cheating on you?" Becky clenched her fists. "That jerk."

"I have to go," Freen said, offering her food to Becky and smiling. "You guys can eat without me, right?" She hurriedly left, leaving Becky and Richie concerned.

"I'm going with her," Becky declared, but Richie stopped her. "Why? If she catches him, she might break down. She needs someone, Richie!" Becky's voice rose, drawing attention.

"Freen doesn't want anyone to see her vulnerable. If you see her like that, she'll hate you. Don't follow her, or she'll resent you forever," Richie warned.

Becky fell silent, her eyes following the path Freen had taken. She hoped Freen wouldn't do anything rash and wished to be there if things took a painful turn.

Meanwhile, Freen hurried to the field where Gulf's friends were hanging out during their break.

"Hey, have you seen Gulf?" she inquired.

The boys chuckled, eyeing her curiously. "Who are you?" the blonde one asked.

"I'm his girlfriend. Do you know where he is?" Freen pressed.

"Ah, you must be the sophomore. He told me to give this to you if you came looking for him," the guy said, handing her a key.

Sophomore? Freen was a freshman. Engfa was right; she must have overheard their conversation.

Choosing the elevator for convenience, Freen's heart shattered upon its doors opening. Gulf was kissing another girl inside, their embrace leaving Freen devastated.

"Hi," Freen said, raising her hand. "We're over." And that hand slapped Gulf violently.