Chapter 19

Morning light filtered through the window, rousing Freen from her slumber. As she glanced around, she noticed Becky was nowhere to be seen. Memories of the previous night flooded her mind, every detail vivid and clear.

Freen got out of bed, making her way to the mini kitchen to grab a glass of water. As she did, her eyes fell on a note attached to the refrigerator door.

"Thank you for last night, Freen. Don't look for me. I wish you all the best." - Becky

Confused, Freen furrowed her brows, trying to decipher the meaning behind Becky's words. Why did Becky act as if she were guilty for something that they both enjoyed? Freen dismissed the idea that Becky thought she would be angry the next morning.

"Nonsense," Freen muttered to herself and proceeded to take a bath. Yet, even in the bathtub, memories of Becky's face and the sounds from the previous night lingered in Freen's mind.

Frustrated, Freen tried to clear her thoughts by sinking into the tub. However, each time she closed her eyes, Becky's face reappeared, driving her mad.

"Why of all people? Why Becky? Why did I have to enjoy last night and do that to my best friend's sister?" Freen thought. If Richie found out, he would undoubtedly be furious.

"Fudge," Freen muttered, deciding that she needed to see Becky to clear things up.

Dressing casually in a black shirt and denim jeans paired with white New Balance sneakers, Freen was about to leave her room when she encountered Richie standing outside, ready for school.

"Where are you going?" Richie inquired, noting Freen's outfit. "Going out?"

"Ah..." Freen licked her lips, concocting an excuse. "I'm going to visit my aunt. She wants me to accompany her somewhere," she said, offering a smile.

"Oh, that's urgent?" Richie asked.

"I think so. Why?"

"Engfa is coming back later tonight. She invites us to have dinner with her. But since you're leaving, perhaps we can reschedule it," Richie explained.

"Wait," Freen paused. "She left? I didn't know."

"Yes, if I'm not mistaken, 2 days ago?" Richie asked.

Freen furrowed her brows. Two days ago? She spoke to Engfa that night. If so, who was the person smoking behind the wall?

"Where's your sister?" Freen asked.

"Why?" Richie questioned. "She left. She told me she wouldn't stay at the dorm anymore."

"Is she home?" Freen asked, ignoring Richie's question.

"Yeah?"

Locking her dorm, Freen rushed outside the school and found a taxi. Instead of heading to her house, she directed the driver to the Armstrong residence.

"Is Becky home?" Freen asked the maid upon arrival.

"Who's there?" Freen heard Becky's voice from inside, and their eyes met when the door opened. Becky greeted her coldly. "Richie's in school."

"I'm not here for him," Freen replied. "I'm here to see you, Bec."

Becky, wearing only a bathrobe, was drying her hair with a towel—the same scene as the first morning they met.

"Come inside," Becky said, opening the door for her.

Unlike before, the house was quiet. Freen assumed Becky's parents weren't home.

"Do you want juice or water?" Becky asked, leading her to the living room.

Freen sat on the couch without answering Becky's question. She needed to talk to her in private, not in the living room where many maids were present.

"I need to talk to you in private," she said, glancing at the maids.

"While I'm wearing this?" Becky asked.

"What's the problem with that?" Freen raised her brows. "Let's go somewhere. This is important, Bec."

"Fine." Becky rolled her eyes and motioned Freen to follow her into her room. "Is this private enough?"

"Yeah. Sorry for the inconvenience," Freen said, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I'm here to ask you something."

"Spill," Becky nonchalantly said as she removed her robe to change her clothes.

"What the fudge? In front of me, seriously?" Freen scolded her.

"Why? I have nothing to hide from you anyway." Becky knitted her brows, continuing to change. "What's your question?"

"Where were you two nights ago?" Freen asked.

Becky tilted her head in thought, finishing changing clothes before joining Freen on the bed. Positioning herself behind her, she snaked her arms around Freen's waist.

"Why?" Becky asked. "I was outside. Enjoying the scenery."

"Where, Becky?" Freen probed.

"Next to your room. On the balcony. Smoking." Becky rested her chin on Freen's shoulder, looking at her. "Why?"

"Did you hear everything I said?"

"Yep. From the start to you want to date Richie instead—"

Freen turned to face Becky, kissing her aggressively and causing her to lie down on the bed. She bit Becky's lips and held her hands tightly, preventing her from resisting. Becky gasped for air and glared at Freen.

"What was that for?" Becky asked angrily, pushing Freen.

"Are you leaving because you think I like your brother? I said that I want to date him because he's a great catch and my aunt wants me to. I didn't say I would really date him," Freen explained furiously.

"I'm leaving because I don't want to confuse you. Everyone in the school thinks you two were dating. What do you think will happen if they found out that you slept with me after breaking up with Gulf?" Becky snapped. "I'm only thinking about you, Freen."

"I don't care what they will say, Bec. You're my friend. Why are you going to leave or vanish from my life? You can stay beside me and let's hang out like we used to before." Freen reasoned out.

"And then what?" Becky asked. "Watch as you fall in love with my brother? Watch you being so lovey-dovey while I'm there hurting because—"

"Because what?"

"Leave, Freen. I don't have something to say to you." Becky pushed Freen outside of her room.

"Because what, Becky? Because you're jealous?" Freen asked. "Why don't you tell me the truth? But please don't tell me that you're falling for me because that's totally insane. We only know each other for months and we only slept together one time."

Becky fell silent. Did Freen really view falling in love like that? Were there no people who fell in love in a short period of time? Why did Freen keep invalidating her feelings?

"Then I won't," Becky said. "I won't tell you the truth."

"You like me?" Freen huffed.

"I was wrong, Freen. It's a mistake. I shouldn't like you," Becky said, pushing Freen out of her room.

If only Becky knew that Freen would react this way, she would have stopped herself from developing feelings for her. Freen wanted her to stay just as a friend, not anything more. She wanted her to be by her side just to what? To satisfy her lust? Becky didn't want to be that kind of girl. She had enough.