Chapter 37

"Are you okay?" Richie inquired the moment he reached Freen's side. Freen clung to him tightly, sobbing into his arms. He glanced at Engfa, seeking an explanation. "What happened?"

"Her aunt had a heart attack. She's stable now, but they need to conduct further tests," Engfa explained. "Freen, I'll be heading out. I have a meeting with the council tomorrow. Will you be okay?"

"Yeah," Freen nodded.

Engfa left, leaving Freen in Richie's comforting embrace. As they entered the room, they found Deli awake. Deli smiled at both of them, particularly noticing their intertwined hands.

"Feeling better?" Freen asked.

"Yes. I'm not going to die. I'm still going to see my grandchildren," Deli smirked.

"Aunt, you should take care of yourself. Do you know how worried I am? I'm going to stop staying at my dorm and live with you again," Freen warned.

"I told you, I'm fine," Deli smiled. "How about you, Richie? Are you okay? Did I cause a disturbance?"

"Not at all," Richie shook his head.

"I'm going to rest. You two can go back. I can handle myself from here," Deli said, gesturing for them to leave.

"But, aunt. You need someone to tend to you," Freen protested. "I'll leave if someone comes. But for now, I will stay here."

"Don't be stubborn, Freen. Your father will come here tomorrow. Come back tomorrow. It's already late," Deli urged, and they obliged before she grew frustrated.

Richie drove Freen back to her house since Engfa, who brought her there, had already left. Once inside the car, Freen sighed and looked at Richie, who was driving cautiously.

"Richie," she called. "Can you date me?"

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Richie asked without glancing at her.

"My aunt wants me to date you. She said she'll be the happiest if I did," she said, averting her gaze. She looked outside to prevent the lump from forming in her throat.

"And you're going to hurt my sister?" Richie asked. "It's a no, Freen." Richie stopped in the middle of nowhere before turning to her.

"Why would she be hurt?" Freen asked, although she knew it was going to happen.

"I can see it in your eyes, Freen. You don't like Becky as a friend. You love her. Your eyes light up when you're together. Your smile, those smiles of yours are different when you're with her. Your actions, it's different when it comes to her," Richie sighed, leaning on the car seat. "And I can see how Becky looks at you. It's the same as you look at her. I can't hurt my sister, Freen. As much as I want to date you. As much as I want to help you. I can't. Believe me. I like you so much, but being in love with you means losing my sister, and I don't want to continue this."

"All this time you knew?" Freen huffed. "And all this time you didn't tell me that you knew?"

"I first realized it when you went to our house to look for her and confirmed it when I hugged you at the booth. Do you think I'm numb?" Richie asked and scoffed. "All I want is your and Becky's happiness. But if I can't have both, then I would sacrifice mine." Richie smiled bitterly. "I'm sorry, Freen. But I can't join your 'play pretend' little game."

Richie started the engine and drove again. He dropped her off at her house before returning to the school.

Freen was confused. Richie had already accepted their relationship when it was too late. If only she knew it would come here, she would have told him earlier. And now, she didn't have a face-to-face talk with Deli. How could she tell her aunt that she couldn't date Richie, especially now that he knew about her feelings for Becky?

"Freen, is that you?" Freen heard Felix the moment she entered the house. "How's your aunt?"

"She's fine," Freen replied, sitting on the couch.

"If she's fine, then why are you so sad?" Felix asked, kneeling to level with his daughter. "What's bothering you?"

"Aunt wants me to date Richie. I want to do it for her. I want to make her happy," Freen said, tears falling down. "That's the least thing I can do to extend my gratitude to her for tending to me all these years."

Felix sat beside her and pulled her into a hug. "Deli won't force you to date him, okay?"

"How'd you know?" Freen asked, pulling away from the hug to look at her father.

"She asked me to take you with me and continue your study there." Felix explained. "She wanted to be alone. She wanted to rest without making anyone worried."

"But she's fine, Dad!" Freen exclaimed as she stood up. "She's not going anywhere, and if she'll rest, I'll stay with her!"

"She didn't want to see you while she's having a hard time. She wants you to remember her as a happy and healthy aunt. She didn't want to burden you. She pleaded with me for this. Don't make this hard for her," Felix said.

Freen's tears escaped once again. She didn't expect this. So, her aunt had a disease, and she didn't tell her. Why?

"Dad, what about me?" Freen asked, kneeling to her father. "What about my feelings? What about my decision?"

"You want to make her happy, right?" Felix asked, helping her stand up. "You must do this. It's for your own good."

Freen sobbed again. Too many tears for this day. She didn't expect this to happen. It was too early. She couldn't leave everyone here. Especially her aunt and Becky. Her aunt needed her, and Becky... she needed Becky.

"Dad, I want to stay." Freen cried and rubbed her palms together to beg. "Don't take me with you. Please." She cried her heart out.

"I'm sorry, Freen. Everything's set. Please, do this for your aunt. It's her wish." Felix hugged Freen, but she only cried even harder.