Chapter 43

William and I spent many hours until I finally learned how to tame Stormrider. Despite him mentioning that I was a fast learner, it was already seven in the evening when we decided to stop.

"I'll take you back to the mansion," William offered as he returned Stormrider to the stable.

"It's fine. I can walk alone," I smiled at him and moved to leave when I saw Becky coming in with her horse. "Hi," I awkwardly greeted, and she only nodded at me.

"Good evening, Ms. Becky," William smiled at her, and she returned a nod. It seemed that Becky treated everyone this way, not just me.

"Anyway, William, tomorrow, I will buy things for my vineyard. Do you need new reins and horseshoes or anything else?" Becky asked while gently caressing her horse's neck.

"Nothing, Miss. But I want to borrow Saro tomorrow. Miss Freen and I would go to the vineyard," William stated, and I raised my eyebrows. Saro? Did Becky name her horse after me?

Becky glanced in my direction and then turned to William. "Sure. I won't mind."

Deciding to leave before hearing more of their conversation, I couldn't believe that Becky named her horse after me. Was she that upset with me? Did I resemble a horse?

"Hey," Becky called while riding a Sanchez motorcycle. I was surprised she could ride one now. "Hop in, or you'll be late for dinner. I don't want Richie to think that I'm neglecting his guest."

"I'm fine. You can go back. I can handle myself." I declined her offer, understanding she was doing it for her brother, but I wanted to keep my distance from her.

"Fine." Becky drove ahead, leaving me behind.

Although the mansion and the ranch weren't too far from each other, I could have walked, but it felt creepy to do so at night.

Upon reaching the mansion, I didn't enter and went to the backyard, where there was a garden to breathe in some fresh air. I wasn't hungry since William and I had eaten before returning to the stables.

However, the fresh air was mixed with the scent of cigarette smoke, and across from me, I saw Becky smoking. I was behind her, so she couldn't see me, and she was busy gazing at the mountain in the distance. I didn't know there was such a beautiful view from here, especially with the moon seemingly perched at the top of the mountain. It was breathtaking. I suspected Becky might be contemplating going up there.

"Hey, you're smoking again," Irin came and took the cigarette from her hand. "If your brother sees you again, he'll definitely scold you. You know that's bad for your health, right?"

"Fine," Becky acquiesced. "I'm sorry."

"Good. How's the vineyard, anyway? I heard you went there. It's been weeks since you last visited," Irin chuckled and joined her, looking at the top of the mountain. Her hands encircled around Becky's waist.

"It's all fine." Becky smiled, turned to Irin, and when she saw me, she ignored me. "Let's head back. Have you eaten?"

"Not yet," Irin answered.

They were about to walk past me, but Irin greeted me, and I only smiled at her. Irin seemed kind, but if she found out what I did to Becky, she might dislike me.

After a few minutes, the head maid approached me in the garden, saying that Irin wanted me to join her for dinner to discuss something. I didn't have a choice but to comply. Becky was in the dining area, eating without acknowledging anyone. Irin smiled at me and gestured for me to sit across from her.

"You know, I've been hearing about Pinitkanjanapun Electronics. You're looking for an investor, right?" Irin asked, mentioning my workplace.

I glanced at Becky and then turned to Irin. I hadn't stated that; I was merely asking if she was in the same field as me. Nevertheless, I had to respond for the sake of conversation.

"Ah, yes. But I still have some things to finalize," I smiled at Irin. "So, what brings you here?"

"Me?" Irin laughed, glancing at Becky. "Becky and I met in college under the same department, along with her brother. When Becky stopped because—"

"Because I wanted to. That's it," Becky interrupted Irin and motioned for her to continue.

"Yeah, so when Becky dropped out, we decided to start a business. I helped her with her wine business, and she helped me innovate in tech. It's like exchanging ideas." Irin laughed and continued to eat.

"You're Becky's guest?" I asked, and she coughed hard.

"Guest?" Irin laughed, shaking her head. "I'm a fiancée, Freen. I am her brother's soon-to-be wife. That's why I'm here."

I didn't know why her answer gave me peace of mind. I thought I'd be happy to know if Becky was single, but for some reason, learning that she wasn't eased me.

Oh gosh, I'm engaged. I shouldn't be thinking this way.

"Anyway, I'm full. I have a meeting tomorrow since Richie isn't here. Can I ask for a favor, Freen?" Irin looked at me. "Can you look after this little fella beside me? Sometimes she doesn't listen because we're the same age. She thinks she's older than me." Irin rolled her eyes at Becky.

"Sure. What exactly do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Just look after her, that's all. No need to follow her 24/7. She's fine. But sometimes she smokes. That's bad for her health. If you see a cigarette, kindly throw it away." Irin stood up and smiled as she excused herself.

The dining area fell silent again. I didn't know if I should leave Becky or wait for her to leave me.

"Don't listen to her," Becky stood up, wiping her lips. "I can handle myself. Don't come near me."