Chapter 35

After the weekend, Freen, Becky, and Richie returned to the dorm as usual. However, unexpected events unfolded as the Head of the Engineering Department tasked Richie and Freen with creating a booth for an upcoming event. Given just a day's notice, Freen proposed a simple photo booth to minimize preparations. With the backdrop set, camera ready, and Freen's talent for photography complemented by Richie's tech and editing skills, the duo got everything in order.

"Everything's ready?" Freen inquired of Richie.

Richie nodded slowly and signed 'okay' to Freen. Freen then opened the photo booth, initially amusing everyone. However, the students soon requested Freen to join them in the pictures, necessitating the need for another photographer.

"What about me?" Becky suggested with a smile. "I'm good at taking pictures."

The group arranged themselves, placing Freen in the middle. Freen smiled, not at the prospect of being photographed but because she noticed Becky smiling at them.

Since the cinema incident, Freen sensed that Becky was upset. Despite spending the entire weekend gardening together, Becky remained distant. Today, however, Becky's demeanor had changed. She was smiling radiantly, and her entire aura seemed different.

"Done." Becky handed the camera to Freen.

"If you want the picture right away, please wait for the editor to print it. Or you can collect it tomorrow. It's up to you," Freen informed them with a smile, and they nodded in understanding.

The photo booth attracted a continuous stream of customers, making it challenging for Freen to have a proper conversation with Becky. Students wanted pictures with her, leaving Freen unable to join Becky. Eventually, as the clock struck five in the afternoon, it was time to close the booths.

"Finally!" Richie stretched his hands and approached Freen, who was cleaning the camera lenses. "Are you tired?" He attempted to embrace Freen, but she swiftly moved away, mindful of Becky's presence.

"Have you finished printing all the pictures? Some students will pick them up at the council office. Others asked if you could deliver since their building is far. They gave us tips, don't worry," Freen assured Richie, patting his shoulder as he moved around, cleaning the booth.

"Why are you still here?" Richie questioned Becky, who was seated on a folding chair. "Aren't you heading back? The gates close at seven. You'll be in trouble again if they find out."

"It's fine. No one will know," Becky shrugged, displaying Engfa's keys.

"How did you get her keys anyway? I know she's on the council and has the privilege to let anyone stay at her dorm, but are you two that close for her to give you her keys?" Richie asked, puzzled.

Freen was also curious; she knew Becky and Engfa were acquainted, but even she, who spent considerable time with Engfa, hadn't received a key.

"Engfa was just being nice. I keep coming back and forth here, so she decided to let me stay whenever I want," Becky explained as she stood up to help Freen clean the booth.

Once they finished, Richie excused himself, mentioning he had essays to complete. Left alone, Becky and Freen decided to head to the cafeteria for dinner.

Seated across from each other, they ate in silence, each seemingly ignoring the other. Freen struggled to find the right words. She wanted to know if Becky was still upset. What if Becky had only smiled earlier because there were students around?

"Bec..." Freen called out, setting down her utensils gently. "Are you still mad?"

"Still?" Becky furrowed her brows. "What do you mean 'still mad'? Did I get mad?"

"Yeah, last time when you saw me talking to Heng," Freen reminded her.

"Oh, that." Becky nodded. "For a bit. I can't stay mad at you, you know?"

Freen smiled, nodding, and continued eating. She felt Becky reach for her hand, and when she looked into Becky's eyes, she saw sincerity.

"It was just for a moment, Freen. Because you promised me, right? You won't look at anyone else but me." Becky squeezed her hand.

"Thank you for trusting," Freen whispered.

After dinner, Freen escorted Becky to Engfa's front door, but the keys were nowhere to be found. Since Engfa was out with the council, disturbing her was out of the question. With no other option, Freen brought Becky into her own room, as she couldn't let Becky stay in Richie's room with Heng present.

"I'm sorry if it's a mess. I haven't cleaned since earlier," Freen apologized, clearing the scattered books from the bed. Becky noticed Freen had been reading and found a sketch in one notebook—of Heng. Why was Freen sketching him?

Becky didn't want to get upset again. She didn't want Freen to feel exhausted from her repeated bouts of jealousy. Choosing to close the notebook and overlook what she saw, Becky remarked, "I'll sleep on the couch."

"Okay. I'll go to Richie's room for a while to discuss something." Freen grabbed the notebook, which held the sketch of Heng. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me?"

Becky shook her head, not wanting to witness it. Freen being affectionate with Richie and Heng was torture for her.

"Okay. I'll be back later." Freen kissed Becky's forehead and left, leaving Becky to overthink once again.