Chapter 53

I woke up without Freen by my side and saw a note on my bedside table. She had left milk and pancakes, mentioning an urgent meeting at the company but promised to be back at noon.

I hadn't expected her to take care of me, though. It was just... she said she could work from here, but now she was out for that meeting. I didn't want to be selfish either. I was trying to understand her, but who am I anyway? And why was I thinking about these things when Freen would be home later?

Knocks filled the living room, so even though it was hard to stand, I managed to walk. I checked the monitor to see who was outside and saw Milk wearing a black plain shirt, her hands in her pockets as usual. Did she like black? She always wore one, as if someone from her relatives had died.

"Hey," I greeted when I opened the door.

Instead of greeting me back, she knelt down and looked at my foot. "Is it okay now?"

"Yeah. Anyways, thank you for the bandages," I said, even though I didn't use them because I had my own. "And sorry for the inconvenience."

Milk nodded and stood up properly. She was about to leave when I called her name. "Don't you want to stay for breakfast? I have pancakes."

"Seriously? Pancakes?" She raised her brows. "You should eat healthier than those." She rolled her eyes.

"I can't cook, so I can offer you pancakes only," I smiled shyly.

Milk asked for permission to enter, and I agreed. She helped me sit on the stool and asked if she could cook since I had groceries.

"Do you like cooking?" I asked while watching her beat some eggs.

"Not as much as I like eating," she replied without looking at me. She was really cold, and I hated it. I was like her once, but this was getting on my nerves. Duh, I'm trying to be nice here.

"What do you like eating?" I asked.

Milk looked at me and scoffed. "You don't want to know." She continued cooking, and minutes later, she put the food on the table. Bacons, eggs, and fried rice. There was also soup and brewed coffee. "Eat up. I'm leaving."

"Wait, you just cooked these for me?" I asked. "Why don't you join me?"

"Not in the mood," Milk said as she washed her hands and dried them using the kitchen towel. She gestured for me to eat, but I shook my head.

"Eat with me. You cooked too much. I can't finish all of these," I told her and tried to stand up to give her a plate, but I almost fell. Luckily, Milk's reflexes were too fast and caught me in time.

"Stop using your foot for a while, or else it will worsen," she scolded me. "And I'm not here to eat. I cooked a lot because I know your sister is here."

I laughed hard when I heard those words. My sister? I didn't have a sister. She must be referring to Freen. Who would have thought that someone would see us as sisters?

"Why are you laughing?" Milk asked, furrowing her brows. "Was she your mother?"

"Damn, no," I laughed again. "She's my... uh, friend."

Milk slowly nodded. "Then where's your friend?"

"She's at work. She won't eat breakfast with us, and for sure she won't be back here in the meantime. So join me," I reached for her hand and patted it.

Milk helped me sit down first before joining me eating. She was so silent even though I was asking her too many questions.

"Why are you so quiet?" I asked.

"I wish you were too," she said and swallowed her food.

I rolled my eyes. "You know what, you're so stern. Are you always masculine?" I asked.

"I'm a lesbian. What do you want me to act?" She huffed and sipped on her coffee.

"I'm a lesbian too, but not all are like you," I retorted.

"Because I don't want to be submissive," she replied and looked at me. "You're a lesbian? So I supposed that friend of yours is your girlfriend?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "But I love her."

Milk nodded. "Does she know?"

I smiled and averted my gaze. Did Freen know how much I loved her? I bet she did. Because if not, she wouldn't have left me early this morning when I was sprained. She knew that whatever she did, I would still come back to her.

"Unrequited love?" she probed.

"No, it's not that," I waved my hands and chuckled. "She's trying to win me back, and I'm still testing her. We have a past."

"Oh," Milk was taken aback. "So you two were exes already? Too soon to share it with me."

"I feel comfortable around you," I replied. "I mean, because you helped me, and I know you're a good person."

"I'm not... what's your name again?" she asked, causing me to roll my eyes.

"I let you into my flat, yet you didn't know my name?" I huffed. "What a frustrating question."

"Just answer me so I can remember it," Milk rolled her eyes and focused on her food.

"Call me Becky," I replied. "What were you saying a while ago again?"

"I'm not a good person, Becky," Milk put down her utensils and looked at me. "Everyone in this building isn't a good person. I knew most of them, and all of the people I knew were bad. They are not criminals, but worse."

"Then are you warning me not to befriend them?" I asked and rested my elbow on the table. "What did you do for people to think you're a bad person?"

Before Milk could answer, I heard knocks again. It was only 9 in the morning. Was Freen already here? I thought she wouldn't be back.

"Your ex is here," Milk said. "Should I hide?"

"Why are you going to hide? It's not like we're doing something," I rolled my eyes and motioned for her to open the door.

There was silence, so my heart raced, and I tried to walk to see her. When the two saw me, they looked and muttered to me in unison.

"Careful!" Freen said.

"Let me help you," Milk approached me and helped me walk.

Freen looked at us. She gulped and averted her gaze. "I guess I'm not needed here?" she asked.

"Yeah, you're not," Milk responded and put me on the couch. "But if you want to wash the dishes, you can. I'll change Becky's bandage."

Freen furrowed her brows at Milk. Even I was taken aback. Was she mad at Freen? Why was she acting this way? And it was obvious that she was provoking her. Milk asked where the bandages were, and I told her where they were.

"Bec," Freen called me and walked towards me when Milk left. "Why is she here?" Her voice was soft so Milk wouldn't hear it.

"She helped me. She cooked me breakfast," I told her. "She's just nice, Freen."

"This is not just nice, Bec. It's more than that," Freen looked at Milk who was busy looking for the bandages in my room. "I don't know."

"Don't tell me you're jealous again?" I asked and knitted my brows.

"Who wouldn't be jealous? You're letting her into your house. You're vulnerable and alone," Freen pointed out.

"Because you left, Freen. That's why I'm alone. That's why I needed help. You know I'm vulnerable, but you still leave me," I retorted. "You think I will ask for her help if you're here?"

Freen was taken aback. Milk came back and motioned for Freen to step aside. She helped me change my bandages, and after that, she looked at Freen.

"Next time, if you don't want others to do it. Then do it," she whispered to Freen before going out. Wait, what was that?