Chapter 24

Freen returned to the dorm while Becky went home due to her illness. The dean explained that the punishment was a cautionary measure for them not to violate curfew, emphasizing it was for their safety. He expressed gratitude that Ms. Waraha suggested this particular punishment, mentioning that he would have separated them into different cabins if he had decided.

"You should be grateful that Ms. Waraha suggested that punishment. If I were the one to decide, I would make you two live in two different cabins," the dean's exact work before gesturing for Freen to leave.

Freen resumed her usual classes, but there was a palpable distance between her and Richie during lunch. Engfa noticed the change in dynamics, observing how Freen avoided Richie, and the two no longer sat side by side.

While eating in the cafeteria, no one joined their table. Whether students were avoiding the perceived troublemakers or considering Freen a bad influence, she paid it no mind. Engfa, however, was more perceptive.

"Are you guys okay?" Engfa asked, but Freen continued to ignore her surroundings, particularly Richie, who excused himself to study at the library.

Engfa, undeterred, probed further but Freen brushed her off. Instead, she extended her gratitude to Engfa for giving them a simple punishment days ago. "Anyway, thank you for giving us a simple punishment." Freen smiled a little and played with her food again.

"It's fine. I was the one who told the dean that you went out past curfew," Engfa admitted with a grin.

Freen glared but couldn't help suppressing a smile. Engfa had orchestrated the events to facilitate a conversation between Freen and Becky. They had reconciled before Becky returned home. Now, she was confident that Becky wouldn't leave anymore.

"So, care to tell me what happened between you two?" Engfa asked, curious. "Between you and Richie. I noticed that you have been ignoring each other since earlier. Most of the time, he would knock at your door before going to his class, but earlier, he just went out and went to class. Can I do something to make you two reconcile too?"

"There are some things that you shouldn't know," Freen replied, swallowing a lump in her throat. "It's better left unsaid."

"Oh, I knew it." Engfa snapped her fingers and leaned back in her chair. "Don't worry, I won't meddle between you two. And I'm Team Becky. So, if you ever need help removing Richie from your life—" Freen cut her off.

"I don't want him to go, okay?" she clarified. "I just want us to be friends. That's all. But he's jealous of Becky. I can't tell him that..." She lowered her gaze.

"Don't speak. I get it," Engfa hushed her. "Damn, you're so gorgeous, girl. Imagine the Armstrong siblings are head over heels for you."

"Shut up. People might hear you. They think I'm dating Richie," Freen said.

"You know what? You should choose between them. You can't keep them together, Freen. You have to let go of one of them. Or do you want to be a two-timer?" Engfa jeered and laughed again.

"Of course not!" Freen exclaimed. "I like them both. I like Becky as a woman. I like Richie as a best friend. Can't I just choose them both?"

"And?" Engfa raised her brows. "Richie won't stay if he finds out that you're dating his sister. He'll die of jealousy, idiot." Engfa scolded her.

"Stop confusing me, please." Freen glared at her. "I told Becky that I couldn't give her the label she wanted. And I told Richie to pretend that he didn't indirectly confess."

Engfa rolled her eyes, stood up, and carried her tray. "You know what? Don't choose anyone, Freen. You're hurting them both, and you'll hurt yourself in the process too." Engfa left Freen alone.

When Freen returned to her dorm, she attempted to study for her upcoming quizzes. However, she couldn't shake Becky's image from her mind. Was she okay now? How was she feeling?

Freen opened her seldom-used cellphone and tried to find Becky's social media profiles. Unsuccessful in her search, she realized Becky's accounts were likely private. She put the phone back and lay on her bed instead, contemplating whether she should contact Becky.

"I wonder where you are," Freen whispered, covering her eyes as thoughts of going to Becky herself crossed her mind. "Should I go there? Damn," she mumbled. "Don't leave me lonely, please."