Chapter 44

Irin left for her meeting, while Becky went to buy some things. Uncertain about what she was purchasing, as I had no knowledge of winemaking, I decided to visit the ranch and see William and Stormrider.

"You can ride Stormrider, and I'll take Saro. She's hard to tame, unlike Stormrider," William instructed, handing me the reins of Stormrider.

However, Saro was looking at me differently. It seemed as if she wasn't scared. "Can I try to tame her?"

"Uh... Are you sure? The last time other equestrians tried, they all got kicked by her," William warned.

Despite my fear, I could feel that Saro wanted me to pet her. So, I approached her slowly, and to my surprise, she sat, making it easy for me to reach her. I smiled when she allowed me to touch her neck.

"Wow," William chuckled in disbelief. "That's too fast."

"Maybe it's because we share the same name," I teased. "My real name is Sarocha."

"Yeah, you two really share the same name. Her name is indeed Sarocha," William smiled awkwardly, and I furrowed my brows.

Damn it, Becky. I thought she only used Saro, but it turned out her horse's name was indeed the same as mine! How could she do this?

"Anyway, let's go. The vineyard is huge. We can't finish touring if we start later," William motioned for me to follow him, and I did.

I was pulling Saro slowly until we reached outside the stables, where I could climb onto her. William and I rode horses around the vineyard, and he showed me the garden that no one else could enter except for Becky. She owned it and didn't allow anyone, not even her brother.

"So, what is Becky like?" I asked William when we returned to the stables to take a short rest. "I mean, aside from being caring or nonchalant."

"You mean her personality?" William asked, and I nodded. "Well, Miss Becky likes to be alone. But Miss Irin won't let her. Sometimes when she's alone, she's smoking a cigarette."

"How many years have you known her?" I asked once again.

"Three or four. I'm not sure. We met in a horse race years ago, and she told me that if I ever needed a job, I should call her. Well, after she defeated me, I lost my job, so I immediately went to her. And she gave me this job. I love it, though." William smiled and looked at the sky.

"I'm sorry for asking too many questions," I said and closed my eyes, letting the sun touch my face.

"William! William!" I heard someone running towards us, causing me to look at him. I bet he's younger than William and he looked like a grown-up baby. If you get what I mean. "Miss Becky came back. We should help her in the fermentation room!" The guy excitedly informed William and then turned to me.

"Okay, fine, Lego. Go ahead. I'll follow." William motioned for him to go, but the guy only looked at him with a teasing face. "Moron. She's Mr. Richie's guest. Do you want me to lose my job?" William almost hit the head of the guy if he didn't run away.

"Why is he sounding so excited?" I asked and chuckled. "Is Becky not coming here often?"

"Miss Becky only comes here once a month. Sometimes, she doesn't. The people here like to see her because she's kind even though she always wears a poker face. She's a beauty too. Most of the people living in this area are boys." William winked and gestured for me to follow him.

"Then who's doing the winemaking here?" I asked him again.

"Us. We know how to make wines. You know there are six steps: Growing, harvesting, crushing, pressing, fermenting, and aging or bottling. It took many years for this business to produce, but you know what? It became the best-selling right after it hit the market." He reached for my hand because I was walking too slowly.

When we reached the fermentation room, Becky looked at us. She looked at our hands, so I decided to pull my hands away from him.

"William. I bought new reins for the horses. You can get them from the truck," Becky told him, and he nodded.

I followed Becky while she instructed everyone in the room. She was giving orders, and all of them immediately executed them with smiles on their faces.

"Why are you following me?" Becky glared at me.

"You're giving orders, and I'm waiting for mine," I smiled at her, trying to appear friendly.

"Don't show your face to me. That's an order." Becky rolled her eyes, but I didn't comply. "Why are you still following me?"

"I can't do that. Someone asked for my favor first to look after you. You can order me something other than that." I smiled at her again.

"You're going to obey Irin?" Becky huffed. "If she told you to look after me all day, would you still do that?"

"I'd gladly do it," I replied.

"You're annoying." Becky rolled her eyes once again and quickened her pace, but I could still keep up. "Can you please stop bothering me?"

"I am not." I replied. "I just want to look after you to make sure you're not doing anything to hurt yourself."

"Then you're late, Freen. I already hurt myself seven years ago!" Becky yelled, and people around us looked. "And it was because of you. So, if you don't want me to hurt myself again, then don't follow me around. This time, I don't know if I will hurt myself or hurt you instead." Becky walked out, leaving me behind. I wanted to follow her again, but I was a nuisance. She was doing her work.

When I went out, I saw Becky smoking again under the tree. Although I didn't want her to see me, I approached her and grabbed her cigarette and threw it on the ground then stepped on it. I didn't say anything and walked out. However, Becky called my name.

"Freen." I turned around to see her. "Why did you come back? I'm doing fine now. Why did you have to distort my life again?"