Chapter 26

The next morning, Deli went to her job, leaving Freen behind. Freen's aunt instructed her to do the chores since she didn't want to go outside or accompany her. So, Freen went to the garden and saw the flowers they had planted before. They were blooming, displaying their beauty. However, they weren't fully blossomed yet, so Freen had to wait for many days before she could pick some and give them to Becky.

Freen watched the plants and smiled at the thought. She had been doing this since childhood because she and Deli loved gardening. However, she never imagined that one day she would plant a flower and give it to the person she liked. She certainly never imagined that she would be the one giving it.

"Delivery!" The delivery man shouted in front of their house, catching Freen's attention. She went out and saw him carrying a small box. "Kindly sign here."

"Who sent this?" Freen asked, looking at the parcel. She then realized it was from her dad's secretary again, seeing the same name. "Thank you." She muttered and signed.

Back in the house, she opened the small box and found a letter inside. It stated that her father was willing to take Freen anytime. He was grateful to Deli for taking care of his daughter all these years and wanted to repay her kindness.

"Ma'am?" The delivery guy called Freen again, and she had to come out once more. He seemed confused while reading the address. "I have a parcel for Mr. Richard William Patrick Armstrong. Do you know where his house is?"

"Just drive ahead. You'll find a two-story house there." Freen smiled, looking at the parcel and furrowing her brows. Why would Becky send a parcel to her brother? Her heart pounded. "You can follow me. I'll just get my motorcycle at the back."

The delivery guy nodded, and Freen hurriedly took her motorcycle to go to Richie's house. After he received the parcel, Freen grabbed Richie's hand and looked at him intently.

"What do you want?" Richie asked coldly as he put down the parcel on the side.

"Are you still mad at me?" Freen asked.

Although she only wanted to know if Becky was there, she couldn't ask it directly. She didn't know how to tell Richie the truth about her feelings for his sister. They had been best friends since childhood, and she didn't want to ruin that. But Richie was the one who started it. First of all, why was he avoiding her? Was he trying to manipulate her into choosing him? Was he gaslighting her? Freen didn't know what to do. If only she didn't care about their relationship, she would just tell him the truth.

"I'm sorry for saying that," Freen started. "I know I'm a bit insensitive, and I didn't consider your feelings. But I don't want to ruin what we have now, Richie."

"It's already ruined, Freen. When I realized that I like you." Richie sighed and removed her hand from him. "Don't worry, I'm not blaming you. I'm helping you, Freen. I'm avoiding you because I know you want to avoid me since I confessed, right?"

"Where did you get that?" Freen asked, furrowing her brows. "You're the first one who ignored me, Richie. I wanted to talk to you, and I thought you were mad because I didn't reciprocate your feelings."

"I am not, Freen!" Richie yelled. "I'm not asking you to like me back. I just want you to let me like you and let my heart decide when to stop!"

"Then why did you say that you would hide Becky from me?" Freen asked.

"Because she's a bad influence on you, Freen! Since you two started to get along, you changed a lot! What happened to the Freen who only liked to be with me and didn't want to be friends with everyone? Now, you're known because you're talking to just anyone. That Engfa, you two look like close friends. The girl who always looks at you and talks to you, I'm not sure if she's called Love. And also, Becky. You didn't like her at first. What happened, Freen?"

"So, you didn't want me to go out of my comfort zone?" Freen huffed. "I thought you wanted the best for me? Why can't you accept that I'm doing everything to be better?"

Richie heaved a harsh sigh before facing Freen again. "You're misunderstanding me again. I'm jealous, okay? I thought I was special, Freen. You made me feel special because you closed your doors to others. But now, you're doing with them what you used to do with me and me only. You made me think that I was somehow special."

Freen was taken aback. Now, it was her fault again. "Sorry." She lowered her head. "Sorry if I made you think that way. Perhaps, you should know that you're not the only person I am comfortable with, Richie."

"Sorry." Richie sighed and reached for Freen's hand so he could hug her. He gently caressed her hair and whispered. "I can't stop myself from liking you, Freen. And I want to be better for you. I'm sorry for getting jealous. I'm sorry for making you furious." Richie looked at her, cupping her cheeks. "Give me a chance again, please. This time, I won't demand your attention. I will accept what you can give me. I won't meddle with your decision in life. Just let me continue to have you by my side."

Freen nodded and hugged Richie again. Now, they were okay. Perhaps, it was time to ask him about Becky.

"Anyway, where's your sister?" Freen asked, looking around. "It seems like you're alone."

"Becky told me not to tell you where she is. I'm sorry, Freen." Richie replied.

"But she's not here?" Freen asked.

Richie shook his head. "I'm sorry."