Chapter 12

A few days passed, and it was already the freshmen orientation night. Just as Gulf had informed Freen and Richie, there wouldn't be any physical harm, unlike the usual hazing rituals. This 'rite' was exclusive to engineering students, regardless of their major. In total, there were over a hundred freshmen, making it difficult for Freen to spot Richie from where she stood. However, she could clearly see the Engineering student council, from the Governor to the representatives. She wondered if Engfa was among them. Being a sophomore, it was likely that she held a position, considering she was the school owner's daughter.

"Good evening, everyone. I understand you're tired from the earlier orientation, but I need to find a competent first-year representative from among you. Someone who will have the privilege of being on the student council, though it comes with responsibilities," explained the Governor, whose name was Dew. "You don't have to call me Gov; Dew is enough."

"Will we get paid for working on the student council?" a girl asked, prompting laughter from everyone, including Freen. She knew that working with them didn't come with a salary; instead, there were certain privileges.

"What are the privileges?" Freen inquired.

"Great question. Engfa, can you please elaborate?" Dew asked, turning to the sophomore.

Freen was taken aback by how stunning Engfa looked. It was evident she came from a wealthy family, with well-cared-for skin and overall grooming. It was hard to reconcile this with the person who smoked the previous night.

"I'm Engfa, the second-year rep. SC privileges aren't overly special. You get access to our office, can suggest department events, attend meetings with department heads, and have no curfew since we're responsible for checking the engineering building dormitories. Some additional privileges are revealed once you're in a position, but no, there are no salaries—just incentives," Engfa explained sweetly, leaving many boys starstruck.

Freen, however, was shocked at the transformation in Engfa. Her voice was entirely different from the previous night. Gone was the sweetness, replaced by a deeper, weightier tone. Was this really the same person?

"Everyone needs to write an essay," Dew announced, leading to complaints. Ignoring them, Dew raised his hand. "Write something about yourself that would make us proud and choose you as the first-year representative. If you don't want to join, write an essay explaining why not."

Despite the protests, the students started writing. Freen opted for the fable she knew best—the turtle and the hare. Engfa collected the papers, and Dew declared that they would announce the top five candidates for the position the next day.

"Hey, Freen!" Richie called out, catching his breath. "I've been looking for you since the rite started. Are you heading back to the dorm?"

"Yes, it's getting late," Freen replied, noticing Richie's anxious demeanor. "What happened?"

"Becky wants to stay in a dorm too, but as a high schooler, she has to stay in the high school dormitories. She's not allowed here, so I had to run from their building to here," Richie explained. "If you become the first representative, you get one wish granted by the SC. If you don't have a wish, could you ask them to let Becky stay in your dorm?"

Freen was taken aback. "Firstly, I don't want to be part of that council. Secondly, if I were to make a wish, I'd ask them to let Becky stay in the dorm, not just in my room."

"Fine," Richie sighed, wrapping his arms around Freen. "Let's go back together."

Freen was accustomed to Richie's clinginess, knowing it meant nothing more than friendship to him. But what about her? As they walked down the hallway, Freen couldn't deny Richie's attractiveness—handsome, intelligent, athletic, with a great body. However, being his girlfriend would mean contending with his fangirls.

"Why are you staring at me?" Richie asked, flicking Freen's forehead. "You're drifting away again," he chuckled.

Rolling her eyes, Freen removed Richie's arm. Near the building's entrance, she noticed Engfa leaning against the wall, smoking. Pausing, Freen observed Richie looking at them.

"I'll head off. See you tomorrow," Richie said, patting her shoulder.

Once Richie left, Freen approached Engfa, who had been waiting for her. She remembered Engfa wanted to meet, but Freen hadn't ventured out of her dorm.

"I read your essay," Engfa said, chuckling. "The Turtle and the Hare? Seriously? You're playing mind games with the SC by making them overthink and choose you."

"Then do me a favor and tell them I'm not interested," Freen retorted.

"Why? Being a representative means freedom from many things. You can let other students sleep over in your dorm, there's no curfew, you get a free lunch every Friday, and you have incentives. It's advantageous to be part of the SC, Freen. Why not join us?" Engfa tried to persuade her, but Freen remained adamant.

"I have to go now. Nice meeting you," she said, ready to leave when Engfa sighed.

"I heard your boyfriend is Gulf, the football player?" Engfa asked, making Freen stop in her tracks. "He's a playboy, Freen. Last year, he two-timed someone from the cheerleading team, and now he's playing games with you."

"How do you know?" Freen inquired.

"His other woman is a sophomore too. We have the same class. I saw them earlier. Someone told me Gulf has another girlfriend among the freshmen, and you two have been together for two years. I told you, he's making you feel guilty when, in fact, he's been cheating on you since you started dating."

Freen expected this revelation. She wasn't hurt; she was angry. How dare Gulf play with her all this time? Last year, everything seemed fine. That jerk had been fooling her.

"When you're ready to confront him, go to his friends on the football team. They'll give you his key once you introduce yourself as his girlfriend," Engfa winked, continuing to smoke.

That was it. It was over for them. Freen wouldn't sit idly by this time. She wouldn't let Gulf make a fool of her any longer.