Chapter 18

Amanda sits in the courtroom with the rest of the squad, waiting for the attorneys and their clients to finish talking.
"Are you nervous?" Liv asks Amanda, obviously sensing her tension.
"I just hope he gets what he deserves. He hurt Sonny way more than physically." She takes a deep breath.
"How is he?"
"He's acting alright. He's just a little upset." The doors open. Sonny comes in on his crutches and sits down in front of the jury.
"Mr. Carisi, what happened that night in the apartment?" He swallows, making eye contact with the attacker.
"My girlfriend was sitting there, miserable, waiting for someone to come kidnap her. When some guys broke in, I took the place of her so that she wouldn't have to do that again."
"What happened after?"
"He took me to his dormitory in Chicago and-" he stops.
"And what, Mr. Carisi?"
"Raped me. Beat me. I just wanted to die."
"Did you ever think about committing suicide while kept hostage by him?"
"Many times." He makes eye contact with Amanda.
"Did you ever try to commit suicide while kept hostage?"
"Three times." Amanda looks down at her lap.
"Was it him that made you do it?"
"Yes." Amanda puts her head in her hands. Liv reaches over and pats her leg.
"It'll be okay." She whispers.
"That's all." They hear Barba say. The other attorney stands up.
"Does your testifying against my client have anything to do with the fact your girlfriend was assaulted?"
"Definitely not."
"You work for Manhattan SVU, is that correct?"
"Yes."
"And did that contribute to it?"
"Again, definitely not."
"Many people here should know that men don't get raped-"
"Objection." Barba shouts.
"Well I did. And I know for sure that many other men are out there, not wanting to say anything. I wouldn't have either, but someone was there to witness it happening. So don't say that men don't get sexually assaulted." Amanda is disgusted. Barba stands up.
"The rape kit tested positive with your client's DNA." Sonny looks at his attacker. He smiles menacingly at Sonny.
"You may step down." He gets out from the chair and hobbles cautiously towards the door. Amanda follows him.
"Men don't get raped." He sighs. She sits next to him.
"You told it how it was. Men get raped, and you're living evidence of that."
"He smiled at me. He knows he's winning the case."
"He may win. But he'll still get some consequences." Sonny nods. "Let's go back in and see how they're doing." She holds out her hand for him, and he gladly takes it. He hops back up to Barbra's table.
"The jury has come to a conclusion."
"The jury has found the defendant guilty on the charge of rape and sexual assault." He looks back at Amanda, and she smiles at him. Police come in to handcuff him. He stops at Sonny's table.
"You ruined my life! I didn't do shit to you." He breaks free of the restraints and grabs Sonny by the collar. He drags him away from the rest of the group. They all watch. He's punched multiple times. Amanda's first up there.
"Because of YOU, I'm going to jail for the rest of my life! I have a family-"
"Hey, pal, look at me." Amanda pulls a tazer out of her pocket. "You caused him so much grief and pain-" she drops to the ground in tears. The guy is taken, and the squad helps her up.
"Sorry." She says, ridding herself of tears.
"We won the case, Carisi." Liv says to him.
"Great." He says, unenthusiastically.
"What's wrong?" She questions him.
"Just because he's in jail doesn't prevent him from doing it."
"You're safe though."
"Sure I'm safe, but is my beautiful blonde safe?"
"I'll be alright. Worry about yourself."