Chapter 28

Amanda paces around her cell, worried about today in court. A guard comes to her cell.
"Come on. It's time for you to go." She turns around for him to handcuff her. She's walked out and to the courthouse. She meets Barba in the front.
"Are you ready?"
"No." She replies to him. "I'm not."
"You'll do great." The guard walks her and Barba into the courtroom. She walks past the squad, all watching her with hard eyes. She sits at the table next to Barba.
"Amanda Rollins, please take the stand." She stands up and sits in front of the jury, making eye contact with Liv. Barba stands in front of her.
"What happened to you that night in the city?"
"I found myself lost in the streets of the city, and I needed to get home but my cell phone didn't work and I didn't have money. But I couldn't be out there alone."
"Why is that?"
"I have moderate PTSD."
"And what did you do to get the money?"
"I sold some antidepressants my ex-sergeant gave me."
"What compelled you to do that?"
"The need to get home and get away from where I felt so threatened."
"Do you think that your PTSD caused you to feel threatened alone?" She nods.
"That's it." He sits down. The other attorney stands up.
"Why were you in the streets of New York?"
"Objection." Barba yells to him.
"Relevance." The judge says. He changes his question.
"Do you really have PTSD? Or is that just a made up, damn lie to get the jury to rule in your favor?"
"Watch yourself." The judge bellows again. The other attorney sits down.
"I really have PTSD. And I obviously need support for it."
"Why were you fired from the Manhattan Special Victim's Unit?" He asks her, standing up once again.
"Distribution of drugs and DUI."
"What a police officer." He snorts.
"Approach, Your Honor?" She nods.
"My defendant has PTSD. She has to be not guilty."
"PTSD doesn't cover up for the illegal acts she committed."
"Yes, actually it does." The judge says.
"The jury will decide now. Ms. Rollins, you may step down. Ten minute recess for the jury." Amanda steps outside and tears quietly fall down her face.
"Amanda, you didn't deserve what he said to you-" Barba comes behind her saying.
"It's alright. The jury probably won't rule in my favor anyway." They walk back in, to the recess ending.
"The jury has come to a conclusion."
"We find the defendant not guilty on the case of drug distribution and DUI. We did decide on twelve weeks of extensive therapy without jail time." Amanda smiles to herself and is walked out of the courtroom.
"Good job, Rollins." Barba says, walking with her. Sonny is waiting for her.
"Sonny-" he takes her in his arms, tightly hugging her.
"I'm glad that you were found not guilty. And I'm doing all I can to help you conquer your PTSD. We'll be in this together." She smiles into his shoulder as tears fall down her face. Liv taps on her shoulder.
"Rollins," she smiles at her. "Congratulations." Amanda smiles back.
"Thanks Sarge." The rest of the squad surrounds her as she goes into the arms of Sonny again.