Chapter 35

A few weeks go by slowly. One morning, they wake up together in a hotel bed. Amanda can barely open her eyes.
"Good morning, Amanda." Sonny whispers to her. She moans and her eyes close again.
"Are you okay?"
"I've been tired for the past few days without getting comfort from sleeping."
"Why don't you spend today resting? I'll leave to talk to the police department." She nods and falls back asleep.
"Good luck." She says, her head pounding.
"Thanks." He gets up and changes. Her stomach turns and cramps up.
"Goodbye, honey." Sonny says, kissing her and walking out the door. Her mouth gets dry and she stands up suddenly. She runs to the bathroom and starts to throw up, gripping the toilet seat. She looks at herself in the mirror and sits down on the side of the bathtub, suddenly getting dizzy and nauseous. She attempts to walk out of the bathroom, but is unsteady. Her vision blurs suddenly, and she falls to the ground.

She wakes up to Sonny kneeling over her.
"What happened?" He asks.
"I don't know, all I remember is getting sick and walking out of the bathroom-" he puts his cool hand to her cheek.
"We should call a doctor." She nods as he steps outside to dial someone.
"They want you in emergency care right now. Let's go." He gently picks her up, but she moans in pain. He sits her down in the passenger seat of their rental car. She puts her hands over her stomach, feeling like someone is stabbing knives through her abdomen. They soon arrive at the emergency room. They're taken back to a room immediately.
"So what's going on?" The doctor asks, noticing Amanda's condition.
"I've been nauseous and throwing up, dizzy, cramping. I've also passed out." The doctor nods.
"Have you had any recent trauma?" She looks at Sonny nervously. He nods.
"I was sexually assaulted a few weeks ago." His eyes grow wide.
"Can we do a test on you to make sure you don't have any STDs?"
"That's fine."
"Okay, Amanda. You'll feel a little bit of pressure." She takes a deep breath and winces. He writes something down and walks out of the room. Sonny goes to her bedside and takes her hand.
"Are you okay?" She nods and smiles weakly.
"I'm worried about you." He says, kissing her head before the doctor comes back in. Sonny sits back down.
"Was the assaulter wearing protection?" The doctor asks Amanda.
"Not that I'm aware." He nods.
"I have some bad news for you." Sonny holds his breath as Amanda tries to hold back tears from falling. He shows her a series of pictures.
"These are your symptoms." She nods.
"After talking to my partners and technicians, we need to do a series of tests, which you will have to be put under anesthesia for." She nods.
"That's fine." He nods and pulls a needle and syringe out of the drawer. He puts latex gloves on and connects oxygen to her face. She feels her eyelids getting heavy, and she blacks out.

A couple of hours later, she wakes up to the doctor and Sonny standing there with tears in his eyes.
"Do you want to tell her?" The doctor asks Sonny.
"No." He starts to cry. "You tell her. Excuse me for a minute." Amanda looks at Sonny, walking out the door. She gets another wave of cramps.
"I know this will be hard for you to wrap your mind around, but-" she bites her lip. "After your assault, you have no STDs, which is good." She lets her breath go. Sonny walks back in. Amanda holds out her hand and he takes it, squeezing it.
"But we think that you might be pregnant." She gasps. "We ran some DNA on the supposed fetus in the womb, and it didn't match your boyfriend's here." She looks up to him with tears in her eyes.
"That means it's..." She trails off in horror. Sonny nods.
"My sergeant's?" She whispers.