Chapter 36

She sits on the bed, staring into the blank space.
"Are you okay?" Sonny comes and sits next to her, rubbing her back. She shakes her head and puts her face into his shoulder.
"I know it's hard. But I'll see it all through with you." He puts his arms around her. "I'll help you take care of the child until you put it up for adoption." She smiles.
"Thank you."
"Let's go for a walk. It will help you." She smiles and stands up, locking hands with Sonny. Someone knocks on the door. Amanda opens it.
"Sarge, hello." She says, biting her tongue.
"I heard you're pregnant. I want that child." She nods and looks down.
"That's fine." He walks away and they walk out. They step onto the elevator.
"I'm glad he wants that child. I don't." Amanda says. She gets a pain in her stomach, and she hunches over in pain.
"What's going on?" Sonny asks suddenly. She shakes her head and sits down on the floor. Sonny stops the elevator and kneels down next to her. He sees her growing pale.
"We're going to the emergency room." He opens the elevator doors on the first floor and picks her up.
"Amanda-" his face sinks. "You were sitting in a pool of blood." She closes her eyes. When she opens them, she's in another hospital bed.
"What's going on? Sonny-" she looks over at him sitting next to her.
"Amanda." The doctor comes in saying.
"Yes?"
"You had a miscarriage." She lies her head back and starts to cry. Sonny's immediately at her side, wiping tears off of her face.
"We need to tell my sergeant." Sonny nods.
"You're cleared to go home." Amanda stands up.
"Do you want to go now?" Sonny asks.
"We better." Sonny drives to her sergeant's house. They walk up nervously.
"Hi, sarge. We have bad news."
"What is it?"
"I had a miscarriage. You won't be getting the child-" he startles her by hitting her across the face.
"What the hell did you do? You killed my child."
"I didn't do anything-" he punches her again.
"Stop." Sonny steps in.
"Was it you, asshole?" He screams at Sonny.
"I would never hurt her, unlike you." Sonny scoffs at him.
"I heard she rejected marriage. There must be a reason." Sonny backs off and walks back to the car.
"Now that we're alone-" he pulls a gun on her. "Why'd you kill my child? Are you afraid of rape?" She looks into his gun.
"I didn't do anything to your child." He puts the gun to her head.
"The reason I raped you, now and before was to get a child. And it finally worked, and you miscarried?" She takes a deep breath.
"I told you that I didn't do anything." Sonny walks up.
"Amanda!" He slowly pushes her out of the way. "She didn't do anything to hurt that child. Believe me." He points the gun at Sonny this time.
"I'll shoot you dead right now. I know you did something to hurt her or that child, and I need to know now because I care about her."
"No you don't! If you cared about her, you wouldn't have assaulted her multiple times just to get a child!"
"Sarge, listen. I didn't do anything to hurt that child." She's slapped across the face again.
"Shut up, blondie." She swallows, her cheek singing.
"Come on, Sonny. We're leaving." He turns around to leave.
"Walk away, and you get shot." Sonny swallows in fear.
"Don't shoot him. I'll do whatever you want."
"Okay then, Rollins. Come in." She slowly walks towards his door.