Chapter 25

Amanda finds herself in the midst of the city in an area she doesn't know and a pain in her ankle. She checks her cell phone to call Sonny.
"Dammit. No service." She puts the phone in her pocket. She looks around for a pay phone and sees one across the street. She pulls the phone out and frantically searches her pockets for a quarter, which she is unlucky. She quickly and nervously decides to go up to someone's house.
"Hello. I'm an NYPD officer. Can I step in and use your telephone?" With nervous ''no's" she is rejected many times. She swallows in fear of being out alone on the New York City streets while it's dark. She sighs and sits down in defeat. She's approached by someone, and she shakily stands up to walk away.
"Hey. You." She turns around. "Are those antidepressants?" She looks down at her hands, forgetting that Olivia gave them to her.
"Yes."
"I heard you were lost. If you give me ten of those pills, I'll give you enough money to call someone." She sighs.
"But that's illegal for me to do."
"Do you want to get home or not?" She pops open the bottle and counts out ten. She's handed five dollars and a quarter.
"Good luck." He says to her.
"Thank you." She quickly pockets the money and the pills and runs to the pay phone. She calls Sonny's cell phone. He picks up, and she sighs with relief.
"Oh my goodness, Sonny-"
"Amanda, I've been worried sick about you." She takes a deep breath.
"I need you. I need you so badly right now." She tries to prevent tears from falling down her face. "I'm lost in the city."
"How'd you get money to call me?"
"It's a long story." She says, feeling guilty.
"Okay, Amanda. I'm on my way." She quiets down.
"I'm sorry I acted like that. It was so sudden and-"
"Amanda, Amanda. It was my mistake to try and force that intimacy on you when you were vulnerable. I promise that it won't happen again." She smiles.
"Do you see any road signs, anything?"
"Not at all." The pay runs out on the phone. She puts a dollar in.
"There's nothing but houses along this road." It's silent for another few moments.
"Sonny," she starts but soon stops herself.
"Yes sweetheart? You can tell me."
"I'm scared, Sonny. I'm terrified. I wanted to take some of those antidepressants Liv gave me but I didn't want to pass out and be taken and assaulted-"
"Amanda, calm down. I'll be there soon."
"This is all my fault. If I hadn't had overreacted about the whole thing we wouldn't be in this situation."
"It wasn't your fault. It was mine, Amanda, we talked about this."
"Fine." She moans in pain, her ankle burning.
"What's wrong?"
"I think my ankle is broken." She starts to shiver. "I see headlights! Sonny, is that you?" He stops by the pay phone and gets out.
"Sonny!" She hangs up the phone and goes to hug him.
"Come on. We need to get you to a doctor as soon as we can." He helps her into the passenger seat and reaches over for her hand, giving her a sense of comfort. He drives in the other direction to a building with the lit-up letters "emergency" he helps her out of the car and walks in.
"Her ankle is in a lot of pain." Sonny says for her. A doctor comes out immediately and brings her to get an X-ray. Sonny sits outside the room that she's in getting the screening done. She comes out, looking exhausted and in a navy blue cast.
"It wasn't broken, but it was extremely sprained." Sonny nods.
"Thank you." He helps her walk out.
"I can't be on the job for six weeks while this heals." She says upsettingly.
"They'll all cover for you." She sighs and steps into the car.
"Yeah. I guess. Let's go home." He drives off in the direction of her apartment, and they arrive. She looks up the four flights of stairs she can't climb.
"I've got you." He sweeps her up off of her feet and carries her up to her apartment. Sonny opens up the door and sees the squad in there.
"Is she okay?" He puts her down on the couch and covers her with a blanket.
"Extreme sprain. They said six weeks for healing." Liv sighs.
"What were you thinking?"
"Sarge, can we talk tomorrow? She's tired and sad." She nods.
"Come on." They all file out of her apartment. He sits next to her on the couch, putting her foot on his leg.
"Thank you for coming to save me."
"How'd you get the money to call me?" He asks.
"I did something illegal." He looks down at her and gently pulls her up to lie on him because she's shivering.
"What did you do?"
"I sold some of my antidepressants."
"You did what?!- never mind. We'll talk about it tomorrow." She feels comforted being held in his arms, and she slowly lets sleep take her.