House of Wings and Roses [Nika]

Book: House of Wings and Roses
Author: Wilting_Daises 
Reviewer: Nikachu22
Chapters read: 3

Main focus: Pacing, story plot, character development

The pacing in the first half of the first chapter is quite smooth. The details and small background given set the story up, for one thing, to be expected. Something is brewing with humans. Opening up the plot with a mention of a shaky past/future is a good idea because it shows how strong of an impact things later in the story can have. Also, it shows how the MC feels about these things so now that we are introduced to this deep hatred, we get to see how it affects him. It's good to even see the character himself let us know internally what he may be struggling with without allowing him to express so much (throw fits.) I’ve seen dramatic characters... 

Readers can feel through the text that he isn’t happy. His emotions are explained with just the right amount of detail that’s allowing me to understand that he’s closer to being a real-life human than just a character in the story because he’s expressing himself naturally as we would. 

There are usually some things I could say that will help support an author from a reader's point of view, but your story is so finely put together I’m not finding much I could go on. I can say that your writing style and pacing are very nice. It’s not rushed. We are allowed to emotionally feel the little fit he’s going through and the subtle cues in the suspense are nice. He seems a bit complex as a character-- Quentin and figuring him out won't be in just a few chapters. There are instances where emotion wasn’t explained in depth and then it was moments where it was delivered in abundance. To me, this is a great balance and a nice way to keep the writing from going over the top. I feel as though I was a bit robbed of understanding him since I’m only reviewing three chapters. His overall character will require a continuation into the story to see how he unfolds. So, character development is something I cannot go off by; however, I can give you a fine appraisal of each character's portrayal. 

So far so good. 

Everything holds a sense of masking or should I say mystery with the characters. Their emotions seem to be intact and that’s what I like most about the story. Quentin is expressive, but he’s still mysterious. This kind of character has the most character development because we as readers don’t particularly know what will make or break him. What things will affect him? That’s exciting. It’s been a while since I've seen such a well-rounded personality portrayed in a character. I didn’t even get to witness the second main character's entrance or how these two will get along. From what I read, I enjoyed it. I like that the characters have a little bit of distinction while remaining as close to real-life humans as possible. 

What you want to steer clear of, is a character that is so well rounded they seem almost perfect. Something in their personality makeup must have a sense of flaw in it. This is because no one is… without it. So characters must have something that challenges their selves as well as forces others to challenge them. Maybe they’re too naive, gullible, mean, quiet, judgmental. That could be anything that hinders them. You could also build off of that flaw and push forth character development.

Overall, I think the flaws would be further into the book, at least I hope so.

You write well and you carry the story with little mess up. I think this is a story where at the beginning the solidness stands so strong it sets the expectations quite high, but does the solidness hold tough as the story unfolds? This would require a lot more chapters as well as a lot more deep dive into reading. That is something that has me intrigued. 

Thank you for applying for this review. I haven’t met a book where it even has me shutting up. You’re the first. 

Pleaseeeeee, keep writing this. 

─⁠──⁠──⁠──⁠─ ⋄ ☾∘☽ ⋄ ─⁠──⁠──⁠──⁠─

Thank you for requesting a review from us. Do let us know what you think so that we can improve to better provide for authors like you.