Chapter 14

"The four of us will carry out this assassination mission. Follow the plan we just discussed. Scatter!"

The team of Anbu, which included Kakashi and Michiko, completed their mission and returned to the Anbu building. It was their first mission as a member of Anbu. Everyone else was packing up preparing to head home and Michiko simply sat on the bench in the locker room, staring into blank space.

After a while, Michiko looked around and saw no one. She was the only one left in the locker room. Michiko opened her locker and began packing her stuff. Suddenly, a hand was on Michiko's shoulder and she startled. Her first instinct was to defend herself. She was about to punch the person when Michiko stopped just in time, as the person was Kakashi.

Michiko heaved a sigh of relief.

"Michiko..." Kakashi called.

Michiko was quite surprised that he recognized her since she was wearing the mask when they first gathered here. She took off her mask, grabbed some paper and brush, and began writing.

「How did you know it was me?」

Kakashi read the note. "How can I NOT know? It's pretty obvious if you ask me."

「...」

"Wanna take a stroll before heading home?"

Michiko responded with a nod. Both of them were walking side by side, in silence. They met Guy along the way, who greeted them with a big smile. Michiko waved and smiled back at him, but Kakashi simply walked away, ignoring Guy. Guy looked really disappointed. Michiko stopped and patted him on his shoulder, telling him don't mind, before running up to catch up with Kakashi.

Kakashi and Michiko ended up on the cliff with the Hokage face statues, again. Somehow both of them really like this place. The view of the village from up here made them feel at peace.

Kakashi and Michiko sat down by the cliff, hugging their knees.

"Why did you join the Anbu?" Kakashi asked.

Michiko did not respond for quite a while.

「Minato sensei assigned me.」

"You should have another reason, don't you?"

Michiko turned to look at Kakashi, paused, and pointed at him.

Kakashi sighed. He knew she would do that, but he did not want her to be in danger. Being in Anbu could mean being killed any time. He cannot lose any more of his friends, especially not Michiko. He knew that if he were to lose her as well, he will definitely lose it.

"You shouldn't have joined... I..."

Michiko put a hand on his shoulder and shook her head. She grabbed the paper and write again.

「I know what you have to say. I could say the same. I don't want to lose you.」

Michiko pushed the note to Kakashi and returned to staring at the village. None of them spoke again until it was getting really late.

The next day, Michiko was watching Kakashi as he trained at practice field three. They were just dismissed from a meeting with the Fourth Hokage, Minato.

"But we must maintain peace, which was attained through the sacrifice of many."

Sacrifice... The cruel reality and result of wars...

Kakashi was using Chidori on the wooden figures when they were called for a mission. There were Stone shinobi attacking the Konoha shinobi on watch. The enemies had surrounded the Konoha shinobi when the team of Anbu arrived. They retreated immediately. One of the Anbu members picked up a shuriken from the ground and told them that it was not the Stone shinobi who attacked them. Kakashi had gone to pursue them before they know it, and Michiko swiftly moved to follow him.