Chapter 48

"Looks like this is it."

"The location is rather well concealed if you ask me. I wonder how those villagers found them," said Michiko as she stared at the entrance to the underground lab.

"We will have to ask those villagers about it."

Michiko nodded. "Let's go in then."

Michiko pushed the door open and dusts flew everywhere. After waving their hands in the air to get rid of the dusts that hindered their sight, Kakashi and Michiko took their flashlight out as they stepped into the underground lab. Both of them were looking around when Kakashi found some sort of switch and decided to flip it. The place suddenly turned bright as the power got switched on.

"This looks more like a tunnel than experiment lab," said Michiko as they stared at the long walkway in front of them.

"This place gives off a bad vibe."

"Couldn't agree more... Let's hurry then..."

Kakashi nodded. They started walking inwards while observing the surroundings. The deeper they went in, the more chills they felt. Both of them felt like they are being watched, and yet, they could not sense any presence following them or so.

After walking for about a minute or so, they reached a place with four doors.

"I'll leave those two rooms to you."

Michiko nodded and the two each open a door opposite of one another.

As the door opened, there stood a few huge tubes with one skinless human in each tube. The first word that comes to Michiko's mind was "sickening". She would very much love to release these poor villagers but one wrong move may cost them their lives, hence it is wiser not to do anything just yet.

There were a few computers within the vicinity, each of them linked to the huge tube. Before the mission, Kakashi and Michiko were taught a little about computers, so that they are able to save the data on the device given to them. Michiko did as she were told, and managed to copy the data from the computers. When she was done with the computers, Michiko began looking around to see if she could collect any more information of this place. After making sure that she checked every single possible place, Michiko made her way to the other room.

Kakashi did the same as Michiko, and the both of them were done checking both rooms in about an hour's time.

"Done checking?" Kakashi asked.

"Yes. How about you?"

"Yeah, all done. Let's go back before gathering the information we have."

"All right."

Kakashi and Michiko are about to leave the underground lab when suddenly they felt some presence behind them. Both of them got into their fighting stance immediately with a kunai in their hand.

"Who is there?" Kakashi scanned around.

There is no response or whatsoever.

"The presence... is gone?" Michiko muttered as she kept her kunai, and so did Kakashi.

"It looks like we're being watched. Let's head back to the lodge."

Michiko nodded and hummed in response and the two left the lab.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Other than the data from the computers, there is no useful information that we could use to find out who the culprit is." Michiko took out the devices that were used to save the data and put them on the ground, and Kakashi did the same.