Chapter 26

"The Lock Village has captured Riichi, a jounin from our village." said the Third Hokage.

"The Lock Village?" Ibiki asked.

"The one where that kunoichi, Hanare, came from." Inoichi answered.

"Yes. In addition, they requested an exchange between Riichi and Hanare. On the bright side, Hanare has almost no information on the Country of Fire and Konoha. In which case, we'll let her go." The Third Hokage added.

"No, don't do it! She's... I'm against returning Hanare." Kakashi exclaimed. Everyone in the room, including Michiko, had their eyes on Kakashi. Michiko frowned when Kakashi objected.

Michiko was standing behind the Hokage, and Kakashi's eyes met Michiko's for a moment. Michiko turned her head to one side, not wanting to look at him. Kakashi sighed before he continued to give his reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kakashi, Michiko, along with Team 7 and a few other Konoha shinobi were on a bridge for the exchange.

"The chances of transformation are zero. No doubt that is Riichi."

Kakashi nodded as one of them used Byakugan to confirm.

"Right then, one person from each side will be the escort and the exchange shall be made at the center of the bridge. Is that clear?" The old man, wearing a conical bamboo hat, who seems like the leader, said.

"Understood!" Kakashi replied.

Hanare took a glance at Kakashi, her expression obviously hinting that she does not want to part with Kakashi. Apparently, Naruto and Sakura pitied Kakashi that things turned out like this. No one seemed to notice how down Michiko was, sadly.

Kakashi and Hanare began to walk to the center of the bridge. The old man and Riichi did the same. Kakashi and the old man nodded, signalling the other two to move. Riichi ran and stood behind Kakashi. When Hanare walked over behind the old man, she turned around to look at Kakashi, seemingly reluctant.

"I won't let you." Kakashi muttered and took a kunai out. Just then, explosions occurred, causing the bridge to collapse.

"Hanare! You must bring back the information on Konoha at all cost! Run!" The old man shouted. Hanare nodded, and changed into her shinobi gear, immediately making an escape.

Kakashi chased after her right away. Michiko, who had her eyes on Kakashi all the time, ran after him. Ibiki and Inoichi came out to the front from the back, and began engaging the enemies. Team 7 on the other hand, chased after the old man, but he exploded himself on the spot as they cornered him.

Kakashi chased Hanare till the cliff where she had nowhere to run. Michiko was standing behind him.

"How did you know?"

"It was back then... You were making a sign with your eye. Unconsciously, I read your sign in advance with my Sharingan and learned your technique. With that technique, I was able to enter my own mind. Your right eye isn't an eye that views the outside world. It's an eye that views the inner world, the inner mind. Also, it's an eye that reads the minds of any intruders that enter your mind. You purposely let yourself get caught and made the interrogators look into our head. Thanks to that, you obtained information from the interrogator's inner mind. Everything that Inoichi-san knew about Konoha. Then finally, you would take the information on Konoha with you during the exchange. At first I was against the exchange, but I wanted to save Riichi-san. It was then that we came up with the plan to recapture you after the prisoner exchange."

Hanare smiled. "Unnecessary. The information I've stolen has already been erased."

"You expect me to believe those words?"