Chapter 41

「Head to Tori Village and meet up with Kakashi for your next mission. He will brief you about it. – Fifth Hokage」

Michiko sighed as she reads the message from Tsunade. She did not get a chance to take a short break and here comes another mission.

Tsunade-sama is really good at fully utilizing the village's human resources, right...?

But she is not going to complain since it is a mission with Kakashi. Once Michiko was done packing, she set off for the Tori Village.

...............

"Geez, why didn't you tell me from the beginning that the mission was ghost extermination?" Naruto said, with slight hint of annoyance.

"I didn't tell you?"

"You didn't mention a single word about it. But well, it's a rumour anyway, isn't it?"

"I haven't seen it myself."

"Eh, s-see?" Naruto put both hands behind his head, slightly relaxed.

"But my master, Mousou-sama, has truly seen it."

"A-Are you serious?" His expression changes immediately.

Before Naruto could ask any further, Neji suggested to get moving to reach their destination as soon as possible. Kakashi on the other hand sighed at the thought of heading to the faraway country, but at the same time the thought of seeing Michiko makes him happy.

And so, the team led by Neji, along with Chishima, and Kakashi following behind them, head for the Country of Bird.

Along the way, nothing much happened. Just that at some point in time Naruto had to carry Chishima in order to move faster. During dinner time, Ten Ten sweated at Chishima's appetite. Naruto took this chance to ask more about the Samurai.

"By the way, does the so called cursed Samurai ghost really exist?"

"Some people say he was the ghost of the former Daimyo, Oowashi-sama."

"The ghost of the dead Daimyo..." Naruto shivered.

"Please tell us more about the Country of Bird, rather than just the ghost," said Neji.

"Hai. The capital of the Country of Bird lies along the bank of a lake where migratory birds rest. The lake water is drawn into the moat, and it supports a lot of vegetation. It was a beautiful and peaceful town. However, ever since the sudden death of the former Daimyo, Oowashi-sama, the situation has degraded. His son, Sagi-sama, and the tactician of the former regime, Koumei-sama, both were candidates to be the next Daimyo. Koumei-sama strongly opposed Sagi-sama becoming the new Daimyo because he was too young. But in the end, Sagi-sama took the position. The matter was settled by the high priest, Mousou-sama, acting as mediator. However, his younger twin sister, Toki-sama, suddenly died half a year later. Since then, the cheerful Sagi-sama turned into a cold person. He deals with politics and locks himself in his house. Around that time, the cursed Samurai began to appear in the town. The townspeople said that Ooowashi-sama had been killed by someone. The cursed Samurai was said to be the ghost of Oowashi-sama, who seeks revenge on the person who killed him."

"Scary." Naruto shuddered.

"Ghosts don't really exist." Neji asserted.

"But..."

"The one who benefitted most from Oowashi's death is that monk called Mousou?" Neji asked.

"Mousou-sama is a man of great virtue with no greed!" Chishima raised his voice.

"Then, the suspect is..."

"The tactician, Koumei, is the only one left, isn't he? I'm sure he tried to assassinate Oowashi and become the Daimyo but failed." Ten Ten continued for Naruto.