Chapter 37

A/N: A big thank you to everyone who read this story. Over 8K reads ('o`;

Next chapter should be a side story... I have yet to finish the one I wanted to write... But yeah.

Okay, let's get on to the story... σ(^_^;)
------------------------------------------------------
Shortly after flashes of lightning come soft roars of thunder. The clouds seem to be in a hurry as they move swiftly, and the sky turns dark. No sign of the Sun. It was as if the sky knew what the village of Konoha was going through right now.

Michiko was sitting on the porch, watching the sky as a gust of wind blew by.

"Michiko, it's time." Asuma stood behind Michiko. Michiko stood up, taking one last look at the sky before turning around. Asuma was about to head for the door when Michiko grabbed the hem of his shirt.

"Hmm? What's wrong?"

"Nii-chan..." Michiko paused before looking into Asuma's eyes. "I know this sounds selfish... but..." She tried to hold back her tears as she bit her bottom lip. "Don't die on me. Promise me that you won't die on me." A tear escaped her eye.

Asuma stared at Michiko for a moment before answering with a serious expression. "I promise." Michiko nodded as she hugged Asuma tightly, afraid that Asuma would disappear if she let go. Asuma returned her hug and gently patted her back. The two stayed like this for a short while before heading for the funeral.

Everyone was wearing black as a form of respect to the deceased. Michiko stood beside Asuma, somber expression and sorrowful feelings not leaving her. 

Drip... Drip... Drip...

Droplets of rain fell from the sky.

"Rain?" Kurenai looked up.

"The sky is crying, too." Asuma added.

"The funeral for Sandaime Hokage, who lost his life in this battle... as well as the other victims who gave their lives, will begin now." Homura announced as the bell rang throughout Konoha.

Michiko knew where Kakashi would be, so she did not try to look for him. One by one, each and every individual at the funeral would go forward and offer a white chrysanthemum for the deceased, paying their respect.

Why... Why did Hokage Ojijiang have to die? Naruto looked down. Konohamaru was sobbing beside him. Iruka patted him on the shoulder, recalling how he used to cry for his parents and how the Third Hokage helped him. Iruka squatted down as he embraced Konohamaru, who gladly accepted it.

Soon it was the Genin's turn to offer flower. As each of them stepped forward, they recalled the memories they shared with the Third Hokage. Naruto has lots of them in particular, since the Third Hokage took care of him for the Forth Hokage.

"Iruka-sensei. Why do people risk their lives for others?" Naruto asked.

Iruka looked at Naruto for a moment before answering him. "When one person dies, he disappears... along with his past, current lifestyle, and his future. Many people die in missions and wars. They die easily and in surprisingly simple ways. Hayate was one of them. Those who die have goals and dreams. But everyone has something as important as those. Parents, siblings, friends, lovers... People who are important to you. They trust and help each other. The bond between the people important to you ever since birth... and the string that binds them becomes thicker and stronger as time goes by. It's beyond reason. Those bound to you by that string will do that. Because it's important..."

"Un. I think I understand, somewhat. But... it's painful when someone dies."

"Sandaime did not die for nothing. He left something important in all of us. You'll find out what eventually." Kakashi added.