Chapter 18

- Michiko's POV -

It has been a few months since Tenzou joined the Anbu under Tou-san. Me, Kakashi and Tenzou have completed mission after mission, without fail. Just when everything seems to go well, something happened.

After completing a mission, I get to go home and rest, getting the following day off as well. Nii-chan was at home when I got back. It's been awhile since the two of us spend time together, since most of the time we are busy with missions. I jumped on Nii-chan the moment I saw him.

"Nii-chan! I miss you so much!"

Nii-chan almost lost his balance when I tackled him with a hug. He gently patted my head, as usual.

"Hai hai... We met a few days ago though, no?" He smiled.

"That was a few days ago! And ever since I'm in Anbu, I didn't really get to spend much time with you!" I pouted.

Well, I know it will happen when I decided to join the Anbu.

Nii-chan laughed. "Yes, being in Anbu isn't easy. Anyway, shall we have Ichiraku ramen for dinner?" Nii-chan asked as I move away from him.

"Yes please! It's been a long time since I last ate Ichiraku ramen! Let's go!"

The two of us went to have some ramen. After dinner, we decided to go for a walk when Nii-chan's expression changed to a serious one.

"Michiko, there is something that I need to tell you."

I have a bad feeling about this.

"I will be leaving Konoha tomorrow."

What? What did he just say?

"Eh?" This is all I could manage.

"I had a disagreement with Oyaji. I decided to leave for my beliefs. I figure out I should go and take a look at the outside world and experience different things myself."

Nii-chan is going to leave. Is this real? My brain isn't processing the information.

After not responding for several minutes, Nii-chan waved his hand in front of me. I must be too stunned to even respond.

"Michiko..."

I looked at him in the eyes. My vision begins to blur.

Nii-chan patted my head. "Don't cry. I'll be back some day." He tried to comfort me, but my tears are falling uncontrollably. I was pulled into a warm embrace.

Maybe it is good for Nii-chan to see the world. He might experience and learn something new. I should wish him luck, right? But...

I wiped my tears and pull away from Nii-chan.

"What time will you be leaving tomorrow?"

"In the morning." He smiled.

"Can I see you off?" I smiled wryly.

"Of course!" He paused, and continued, "Take good care of yourself alright? And don't worry about me, I'll be back. I promise."

I nodded.

The next morning, I was walking with Nii-chan to the village entrance when we met Kakashi and Guy along the way. When Kakashi learned that Nii-chan is leaving the village, he looks at me worriedly. I tried to give him a smile to assure him, but who am I kidding?

Well, it's not like Nii-chan isn't coming back... But I won't be able to see him for some time. How can I not be sad?

Kurenai nee-chan was already waiting at the village entrance when we reach.