Chapter 20

"He will be your replacement. Well, we are still discussing, so this is not confirmed. But most likely he will."

"Isn't he a little... too young?"

"Yes, that is why we're still considering. Your request to leave Anbu was approved some time back, but you volunteered to stay until I can find a replacement. I shouldn't keep you any longer..."

"Sandaime..."

"Michiko, once you leave Anbu, you shall assist me in handling the miscellaneous work including giving missions to our shinobi. If necessary, you'll join them for certain missions. And of course you'll be given missions as well. But for now, just continue with your Anbu missions."

"Ha!"

~~~~~~~~~~

"As usual, your Raikiri is as brilliant as ever, Senpai." Tenzou stared at the dead bodies as he said.

"Brilliant? There is no such thing as brilliant or unsightly in assassination... A kill is a kill, that's all." Kakashi replied.

"Hai hai, our mission is over. Let's go, shall we?" Michiko added.

The team of three went back to the Anbu headquarters.

"By the way, what happened to the replacement? To replace Michiko senpai..." Tenzou asked while they packed.

"There's no rush. We're not in the middle of a war or anything. Sooner or later, someone will show up." Kakashi answered.

"True... But it is almost two years since I had requested to leave..." Michiko sighed. Ever since that incident, Michiko had considered leaving Anbu. Her father and Kakashi did not mention anything specifically, but it does seem like they want her to quit. Asuma, who came back a few months ago, after learning about the incident, suggested the same.

"You could have left, you know, Michiko senpai..." Tenzou said.

"You wanted me to leave that much? I'm hurt, you know." Michiko teased as she walked out of the locker room with Kakashi.

"E-Ehh?! I don't mean it that way, Senpai!"

Michiko's laughter can be heard from afar.

Kakashi and Michiko were walking out of the building when Michiko put an arm over his shoulder.

"Are you tired?" Michiko asked as she playfully poked his cheek.

"Not really."

"Then what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong."

"Tell me."

Kakashi sighed. Nothing escapes her huh...

"I had that dream... again."

Michiko stopped and turned Kakashi around. She grabbed his shoulders and looked at him in the eyes. "You know it wasn't your fault, right?"

Kakashi averted her gaze. Michiko wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close. He returned her hug and none of them said anything.

The two then continued walking, until they reached the bridge, and they met Guy, Asuma and Kurenai.

"Hey, Kakashi, Michiko. What's up? Kakashi, you look tired. Did you just get off a mission?" Guy asked.

Michiko smiled at them, not answering, while Kakashi remained quiet.

"You're such an idiot, Guy. Members of the Anbu can't discuss details of their work!"

"That's how it goes." Kakashi finally open his mouth.