Chapter 40

Konohagakure was in a mess ever since Orochimaru invaded. Missions for all Konoha shinobi has increased, especially those of higher levels. That being said, Kakashi and Michiko belonged in that category. Michiko came back from her mission and received the devastating news.

Sasuke left the village and went to Orochimaru, to seek power.

A team was sent to go after Sasuke – with Shikamaru as the leader, Naruto, Chouji, Kiba and Neji. Chouji and Neji were seriously injured, but their lives were no longer in danger. Kiba and Akamaru were injured as well, but it was not life-threatening.

Kakashi did not manage to stop the fight between Naruto and Sasuke. By the time he got to where the two were, Sasuke was gone, and Naruto was lying on the ground. Kakashi brought him back to Konoha immediately. As for Sasuke, even if Kakashi wanted to go after him, thanks to the rain, he could not.

Naruto, having the Kyuubi in him, he healed rather quickly, even though he was wrapped in bandages. Shikamaru reproached himself for being an incapable Captain, getting everyone injured and failing the mission. But when he knew everyone was fine, he made a promise to do a perfect job the next time.

"You seemed alright." Michiko closed the door after entering the ward where Naruto was.

"Michiko nee-chan!" Naruto smiled.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

Naruto frowned for a second before returning to his usual self. "I'll recover quickly and get Sasuke back again!" He grinned.

Michiko stared at him for a second before finding herself worrying for nothing. She plopped a hand onto Naruto's head and ruffled his hair. "Get well soon then!"

Suddenly, a loud thud was heard, coming right from outside the window.

"W-What's that?" Naruto reached for the curtains and opened the window. Both of them saw...

"Ero-sennin?!"

"Jiraiya-sama?"

"Yo." He smiled. Jiraiya was sitting on a toad with size comparable to Gamabunta. He got off it and sat by the window. "Naruto, I came to tell you something important."

"I guess I should take my leave." Michiko was about to turn around when Jiraiya raised his hand up. "It's alright."

Michiko nodded and sat back down onto the chair.

"Naruto, I'm going to officially make you my apprentice, and in three years, I'll train you to become a full-fledged shinobi."

"Three years?"

"I received reliable information about Akatsuki from a certain source."

Akatsuki... Michiko frowned at the name.

"It seems like the next time when they come for you, it will be three to four years later."

Naruto looked down as he listens to Jiraiya's words. Michiko was observing Naruto's reaction.

"I don't give a crap about that!"

"Hmm?"

"That's three to four years later. I don't have the time to waste training until then!"

"What do you mean?"

"I have to chase down Sasuke as soon as possible! He might get killed by Orochimaru!"

Jiraiya snorted. "Looks like you've figured out the true reason why Orochimaru wants Sasuke."

The true... reason? Michiko looked at the two.