forty nine

*Nicole's POV

I woke up to the sound of my dresser drawer slamming. Calum was stuffing all my clothes and things into a large duffel bag. I sat up as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and let out a large yawn.

"Calum... What are you doing?" I said only half awake. I stretched and sat up slowly.

"We're getting out of here. Out of this house. Out of this town." He said as he continued to pack the bag. "Those guys gave us three days to get out of here. I'd like to go sooner than later, the others are already packed."

I stood up, but felt uneasy. I hadn't stood up on my own in a long while, except for last night, and that was just a brief few seconds. My legs felt like jelly, I wobbled and tripped, Calum rushed over and caught me before I could fall to the floor. He held me close to him, making sure I wouldn't fall.

"Go easy, take small steps. You're still weak." Calum said and I nodded.

I looked up into his eyes and saw sorrow, I gave him a small pained smile which he returned. When I steadied myself, Calum let go of me. I gave him a reassuring nod, and he continued to pack my things. I cautiously walked back to my bed and sat on the edge, where I continued to watch Calum pack.

"Calum?"

"Hmm." He hummed.

"Can I have a blood bag? I'm really hungry... And I'm trying my hardest to control myself and not leave the house, then go kill every human I find." I said smartly.

"Yeah, wait right there. Don't move. Don't kill people." He instructed. He quickly zipped up the bag he had been packing before dashing out of my room. I traced shapes in my sheets with my finger until I heard a quiet knock.

I looked and saw Luke standing in the door frame with a blood bag in each hand. His face was emotionless until I smiled, which he returned with a smile two times brighter.

He threw the blood bags on my bed, and walked over to me. I stood up and wrapped my arms around him, and he did the same. He hugged me tightly and I dug my face into his neck. He stroked my hair as he rocked us back and forth. We stood in silence, but it was a comfortable silence. He pulled me away from his body, so he could kiss my forehead. He let his lips linger on my forehead for a while before pulling away.

"I missed you." He said.

"Of course you did." I replied sassily, with a chuckle.

He rolled his eyes and chuckled. "I hate to say it, but I missed your cocky attitude too."

I smiled, he leaned behind me and grabbed one of the blood bags from my bed. He handed it to me and I thanked him. I began to drink the blood and a fast pace, which seemed to surprise Luke. I finished the bag and thanked him again.

"Did they even feed you?" He asked and I replied with a nod.

"How many days has it been since you've fed?" He questioned concerningly.

"I'm not sure, a couple days ago I think. But that was only the second time. The first was close to when I first got there. Maybe a day or two after I was taken." I replied dryly.

"By the way, how long was I gone? It was hard to tell time in that dark little basement." I explained before starting to drink the second bag.

"Two weeks." Luke replied simply. My eyes widened. Was I gone that long?

"Wow." Was all I could manage to say. I licked my lips, and threw the two empty bags away.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you." Luke said as I turned back to him. I saw his eyes began to water, I ran to him and hugged him tightly. He wrapped his arms around my torso, and dug his head into my neck. I cradled his head with my hand, using the other to rub circles on his back.