39

You guys ARE the BEST! I was rereading some earlier chapters in this story and WOW, I can't believe I actually published those chapters smh. Despite publishing "not so well edited chapters" you guys still show me support and are even willing to help me improve! That blows my mind! Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm such a jerk for making everyone wait for these two chapters...sorry about that x_x"

The team crashed to bed shortly after dinner, today has been a very long day. Not only did we learn of the increase in Nasods, but we'd just learned that a possible war could break out between us and the Nasods. That information alone is enough to drain us all.

As usual I didn't get the greatest sleep and woke up fairly early. Seeing how I had so much spare time I decided to sneak out, and maybe go for a short walk.

Sneaking out of the cramped guest room I began my way through the dimly lit hallway, the kitchen lights barely illuminating the slumber house. Curious to see who's up I decide to make a small detour.

Poking my head in I could see Amos asleep on the kitchen table, a large book sat in front of him, with glass flasks, diverse in size, arranged around the table; some were filled with a colourful unknown substance.

I wanted to step back out, but before I could Amos' eyes fluttered open. He jumped awake the instant he saw me, knocking his hand against the table---the glass flasks trembled at the sudden impact.

"A-Ara." He greets; rubbing his injured hand. "Why are you up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep anymore," I reply vaguely, my eyes wandering curiously around his equipment. "So what are you up to? It doesn't look like you're up for a midnight snack." I gesture to the disorganized table.

"Oh, I'm just doing some late night studying." He answers quietly. "Agatha doesn't like it when I study this early, but I can't help it. This is the best hour to be studying"---he gestures me to come closer---"come, I want to show you what I've been studying."

I take him up on the offer and tip toed to the table, my cheeks heated with embarrassment at the strange letters written in the book. It feels wrong to be unable to read something a child could.

"This book is written in an old language," Amos explained, while brushing his fingers delicately along the lines. "I'm still learning the language, but I know enough to read most of the things written in here."

Amos turned the page revealing a number of messy drawings and symbols. I could barely make out each drawing, they seemed to overlap one another with tiny words sprawled around the page.

"So what does this book talk about?" I ask, wanting to know more on the book's secrets.

With a toothy grin Amos responds," Alchemy."

If Vapor was here she'd be beaming with pride, I thought sadly to myself. I bet Amos would love her works, these two would've made the ultimate duo.

"I've been trying to make a new potion," he said, as he reached out for a flask filled with a clear substance. "I want to make something that can help us defeat the Nasods, but right now I need to get down the basics."

He holds the flask up high, slowly swaying the substance around in circles," right now I'm learning about different acids. I'm slowly mastering the techniques that's used in making acids, one day I'll make an acid so powerful it'll keep all the Nasods away from my village!"

Amos' enthusiasm reminded me of me as a kid. I wanted to fight and master each technique taught to me so I could protect my village, it didn't matter how difficult the techniques were, i was always willing to learn.