69

The final eight chapters (nine if you include the author's note at the end) are coming out today! I have a lot of editing to do but I'm also pumped to present the final chapters of this "book". Keep your eyes peeled for notifications because these chapters will be released all throughout the day. Happy reading everyone! :)

When I first started training I often got into fights with Aren. Sometimes it was to show off the little strength I had, other times it was to get him back for stealing my toys. Whenever we fought for a bad reason, such as stealing toys or food, Mother would spank us both with a broom stick before forcing us to clean the entire house. While that often fuelled the anger burning between us, it taught us to work together.

No matter how mad I was at Aren for stealing my favourite plushy or how frustrated I grew when he poked fun of me in front of my friends,I never had the thought of killing him. He was my brother and I loved him.

Now it wasn't just a simple fight between two siblings. My brother was an enemy, a threat to other people's lives. As a Red Knight it was my responsibility to kill him and protect the innocent, but as I sister I couldn't conjure up the strength to turn my blade against him.

How could I begin to explain that to my friends? How would they accept it after the tragedy that kidnapped our beloved friend?

We returned to the base as soon as possible, carrying all our injured down the tower and across the plains. Along the way Elsword didn't say a word to me, Speka could hardly look at me, and the rest of my team seemed to avoid me. I couldn't blame them. In their eyes I stood still in the face of danger while Aisha heroically saved me-I was the villain.

When we arrived to the base Aisha was immediately rushed into Amos' tent for treatment, Rena was brought to the lake in the graveyard by Chung, and everyone else went for a quick checkup. I didn't bother joining them for the check up, it hurt too much to know I escaped with minor injuries while Aisha was knocking on Death's door.

So here I was, sitting in the outskirts of the busy base alone, with only Eun's angry scoldings and my own thoughts to accompany me.

I still do not understand why you threw me away. Eun snapped for the fifth time. What would have happened if Aisha did not save you?

"Then she would still be here," tears burned my eyes once those words slipped off my tongue. I cursed and buried my face in my hands.

She is not dead yet. Aisha was still breathing when we arrived.

"But she will die." I whispered, my hands trembled at that simple thought. "A-and it's all m-my fault."

Ara-

"W-what if that demon wasn't Aren?" I went on, every passing thought sapping more energy out of my cold shaking body. "W-what if I-I mistakened him f-for my brother?"

I swallowed down the remaining contents of my stomach," E-Eun, w-what if Aisha died in v-vain?"

Your friend is not dead yet.

"What if she does?!" I snapped my head up, glaring at the empty green mass stretching ahead of me. "W-what if she did die? How am I supposed to m-make it up to Elsword? H-how can I live with myself anymore?"

Then it is a mistake you must own up to. Complaining and crying will not fix things.

"It's what I-I do best, Eun." I bowed my head, droplets of tears slid off my face and onto the grass. "A-all I can do is cry and complain..."

The air around me thickened at the presence of a familiar bone-chilling aura-it seemed to radiate with more strength this time. I didn't bother looking up to see if it as Scarlet as I knew it was her. I squeezed my burning eyes shut at the sound of the shifting grass-silence filled its place shortly.