Chapter 5

**Edited**

All eyes fell on me the moment we stepped into the kitchen. Everyone, including two additional strangers, at the table greeted me with a bright smile -- everyone but Chung of course. I hid behind the Nasod queen, suddenly feeling regret for coming here.

"You must be Ara," the old man dressed in red greeted. "Nice to meet you, I am Lowe. I, along with my family, have worked with the Red Knights for many years."

"And I'm Echo," the girl with messy silver hair chimed in. "Not to brag, but I'm the best alchemist in the village." She grinned proudly

Echo's introduction left me speechless. Not only was I expecting her to be Lowe's clueless granddaughter, but I wouldn't think to guess she was an alchemist; she looked like a twelve year old for crying out loud.

"It's very nice to meet you two," I hesitantly stepped out from behind Eve and bowed.

"Damn, this girl's got manners" Echo's comment earned a few chuckles. "Ara makes a better first impression than Elsword."

"Hey--"

"We have heard about your powers," Lowe began, cutting Elsword off. "I have never heard of such phenomenon, could you give us more information?" He smiled warmly---I was grateful he wasn't judgmental about it, if he was he did a great job of hiding it.

I shook my head," I..uh...actually didn't know till the attack." My eyes darted the room. "Umm, I don't know how I got the demonic powers. In fact, I have no memories once I'm in that... demonic state."

I tightened my lips together with heart racing wildly. Maybe revealing so much at once wasn't the smartest move.

"So if you were to go demon on us," Echo clarified. "You would have no control nor would you have any memory of it?"

I silently prayed for the floor to swallow me whole," y-yeah." I stammered.

Echo nodded while taking a large lollipop out from her bag," it sounds more like you've been possessed by a demon." She began. "From the story Elsword and Aisha told us, this demon doesn't seem to be evil."

"She's got a pretty cool demon by her side." Elsword pointed out with a grin. "I wanna look like a fox with nine tails."

"I doubt you'd be able to move without tripping over your own tails." Aisha grumbled, Elsword immediately hit her arm in response. Aisha simply stuck out her tongue in response.

"A nine-tailed demon eh?" Lowe tapped the wooden table rhythmically. "I don't believe I've heard of it before."

"It is quite fascinating to hear." Eve added flatly. "I am curious to see those powers at work. Perhaps we should try awakening the demon to study it further."

"That wouldn't be wise, Eve." Lowe replied. "We can't be sure this demon won't attack us or the village."

"I have one last question for you," Echo pointed her lollipop toward me. "You stated that you recall nothing when the demon took over, correct?" I nodded. "Can you recall unusual memory gaps in your past?"

I instantly thought back to the time I reawakened in my village, having no memory to fall back on," w-why?" I asked.

"Those memory gaps may be an indication of the demon's doings." Echo locked firm eyes on me. "Please be honest with us. Every bit of information counts."

It was nearly impossible for me to hold back the memories rushing back to me. I swallowed down the heavy lump forming at the back of my throat and replied," y-yeah. W-when I was a kid."