Chapter 2

*Edited*

I chomped into my warm chocolate muffin, eyes skimming through the latest newspaper. Mellow music played, accompanied by hushed chatter, in the background. The best way to sulk after being yelled at was to eat sweets, well for me anyway. Sweets always found a way to tame my emotions.

"What would you think, Mother, Father?" I wondered to myself out loud. "Would you be proud of me; or would you side with Camilla?"

I'd like to believe Mother and Father would take my side, perhaps they'd find Camilla's expectations of me just as irrational. If Camilla wasn't so concerned about an attack strategy I would already by fighting alongside other knights. She's the sole reason I've been stuck in training for so long; she's the reason I may never accomplish my dream of becoming a Red Knight. I huffed and took another bite out of the muffin.

The glass doors of the bakery flew open, the tiny golden bells attached to it chimed to life. Two very familiar voices flooded into the store. At that moment I wished the ground would swallow me whole.

Maybe if I stay very still they won't notice I'm here.

"Oh look, Elsword, it's Ara."

I cursed under my breath and kept my eyes glued on the article in front of me, pretending to be fully engrossed in the story I had just finished reading.

I can't believe I'd bump into them again, especially after I made a fool of myself. Why do they have to come here of all places? Why not that shady burger place by the arena? Can't a girl enjoy her muffin in peace?

"Hey," Aisha slid herself into the chair across from me—I held back the urge to groan. "Funny seeing you here."

"I always come here," I replied with a shrug," this is usually where you can find me."

"It's very nice in here," Aisha examined the brightly coloured walls. "This place gives off a very homey vibe."

"I guess so." Home is nothing if you're not surrounded by vast amounts of sand, beautiful lakes, and the hot scorching sun. "What are you two doing here?" My voice came out harsher than I had anticipated it to be.

"Our team used to hang out here." Aisha answered, shrugging off my rude tone." That was before we were busy with endless missions." Aisha purposefully lowered my newspaper and added," y'know you aren't half bad."

I frowned and pushed the paper up to my face again," I lost pretty badly and I'm sure Camilla would agree without a doubt." I blinked against the burning tears in my eyes.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Ara, you're just not used to fighting strategically yet." Aisha lowered the newspaper once more, but this time she kept a firm grip to keep me from hiding behind it again. "Trust me, you'll be scary good once you get that mastered."

I couldn't help but smile at Aisha's compliment. It was nice to know someone had faith in me, but the sceptical part of me was convinced she was lying. If I had to guess, she was just saying nice things to me in hopes of boosting my confidence.

"Hey, Ara, fancy seeing you here!" Elsword greeted with a steaming drink in one hand. "Aisha, here's your tea." He said, placing the cup in front of Aisha.

"I haven't had this in such a long time." Aisha chimed happily. "You wouldn't believe the stuff we have to eat and drink on the road." She brought the cup up to her lips and slurped.

Elsword snickered," we had to eat bugs once and this big baby was crying."

"Shut up, you dork." She snapped. "Bugs are gross! And may I remind you that you got food poisoning after eating that glowing spider."