Chapter 6

**Edited** 

"Dread Chase!"

I was swept off my feet by a wave of blue lights, crashing into the icy river upon impact. The bright lights left my vision dotted with stars.

"I told you she was dangerous!" Chung's voice came booming from the distance.

Panic swept over me upon catching Chung's blurred figure charging toward me. I held my breath and forced my legs up, pushing against my damp, heavy clothes. With the last of my strength, I forced myself out the river and toward the inky forest.

"You're not getting away!" Chung tackled me down before I could take another step.

I screamed as his heavy armoured body crushed onto mine, knocking the air out of my lungs.

"Cannon--"

He was promptly thrown off my back with a cry of frustration. I scrambled up my feet, freezing almost instantly upon catching the white creature emerging from the forest's shadows. The white demon from earlier galloped toward me, teeth bared at Chung.

"Y-you came back," I gasped as the creature took position beside me.

Maybe saving a demon wasn't such a bad idea afterall.

"A-an Ancient Phoru!" Chung's voice boomed, probably reaching the ears of all villagers.

I glanced up in time to see him scrambling away from me and my furry friend. With eyes glued on us, he continued to shout for help. Within seconds, men, women, and even children came pouring out of the wooden houses, squealing and cursing at the scene unfolded before them.

"It's that new recruit." Someone in the crowd pointed out.

"I knew there was somethin' fishy 'bout 'er."

"I heard ol' Lowe recruited a demon. Serves him right."

Their every comment felt like needles. I didn't know what hurt more, the fact that I was treated like an outsider or the fact that their accusations held some truth.

"W-we're not enemies!" I pleaded to the hysteric crowd.

I doubled back as Chung took a step toward us, even the Ancient Phoru mirrored my response.

"You can fool me, demon." Chung hammered his cannon onto the ground. "I'm not as gullible as the others."

I opened my mouth to respond just as he released another glowing blue orb toward me. The Ancient Phoru countered his attack with another amber fireball, erupting a puff of smoke upon impact.

"Chung!" Elsword's voice flared just beyond the curtain of smoke. "What's going on?"

"Your new recruit attacked Lowe," Chung answered at once.

As the smoke from the attacks dissipated into nothingness, I saw Elsword and the remainder of his team huddled by Chung. Even from a distance, I could see the concern they held for their friend—the lump at the back of my throat felt bigger.

"A-Ara?" Elsword turned to face me, his friends mimicked him.

"I-I didn't know what I was doing." My voice wheezed out in a whisper.

"There's an Ancient Phoru by her." Eve pointed out. Suddenly the attention that was drawn on me drew toward my furry friend.

"N-no, wait." I attempted to step in front of the Phoru, but it wouldn't allow me to maneuver in front.

"You're worried about a damn Phoru over a demon attack?" Chung asked incredulously. "D-did you even hear what I just say?"

"Loud and clear," Elsword said, drawing his dual swords. Shivers crawls down my spine as the blades slid out of their respective sheaths. "We'll worry about that later--"