14

"We're almost done!" Mother exclaims as she fixes up my short pig-tailed hair. "Done! You can turn around now."

I spin around to face the mirror, nearly gasping at my new appearance," I-I love this!" I spin around in my crimson red dress, the golden bracelets around my wrist nearly slip off as I pose in front of the mirror.

"You look like a princess, Ara." Mother holds out a pair of red flats. "These will complete you outfit."

"Thanks," I take the flats carefully - scared that one wrong move would ruin them. "Do you think Aren will make fun of me?" Aren often says I look like a monkey, no matter what dress I wear.

Mother giggles," your brother would never call you a monkey today," she began as she helped me slip on the flats. "Today is your fifth birthday, it's a very special day for you."

"I guess."

"Now you're all done!" Mother claps with delight. "How about we go and greet your brother? I'm sure he's wanting to see his beloved little sister."

"If he calls me a monkey can I have his share of cake?"

"Alright." Mother smiles warmly at me as she opens my bedroom door. "Aren, come see your sister!"

"Coming!" Aren replies almost instantly. I can hear him sprinting towards my room shortly after.

"Don't run around the house!" Mother scolds. "You could break something!"

"Sorry," Aren pushes past mom and into my room. He sends me a toothy smile the instant his eyes land on me," you still look like a monkey." I pout at his remark. "But today you look like a beautiful monkey!" He quickly adds on.

"I'll leave you kids alone." Mother giggles as she steps away from the door.

"Mother promised me your share of cake if you called me a monkey!" I exclaim proudly. "Hah! You get no cake!"

"In that case you won't get a share of cake on my birthday either!"

"Not fair!" I cross my arms. "I never call you anything!"

"You're so loud." Aren covers his ears up."Calm down, monkey!"

"Aren-"

"I'm just messing with you." He suddenly pulls me into a tight hug. "Happy birthday, little sister. You're finally old enough to train."

"I'll be stronger than you one day!" I reply loudly while hugging him back. "You better watch out, big brother! Your little sister will surpass you!"

"You keep telling yourself that." Aren chuckles. "Listen, Dad told me I may not be home often once I'm old enough to leave the village." He breaks the hug. My happy mood is suddenly put aside at the sight of Aren's sad expression.

"Aren?" I swallow. "A-are you okay?"

"Yeah," he turns away to rub his eyes. "I just don't want to leave the village. I'll miss our parents and you."

"But we'll always be here waiting for you to come home. It's like when we wait for daddy to return." I hesitantly grab his hand. "When you come home we'll have a big party, with lots and lots of cake!"

Aren glances back," really? You won't be mad if your big brother isn't home often?"

"Well, of course I'll be sad. Home won't be the same without my big brother." Something in Aren's eyes spark at my statement. "But I'll be super happy when you come back! Mommy, daddy, and I love you! We'll always be waiting for you to come home!"