72

I woke up in a cold sweat early next morning, bits and pieces from my nightmare lingered fresh in my conscious mind. This time; however, the nightmares were not about my past. This time I dreamt of Aisha. I was forced to see the forest-green beam hitting her body, to witness the life dimming in those purple eyes, and hearing Aren's voice taunting me from the background.

My mind was a mess, jumping in between Aisha's final moments awake and the possibilities of that demon being Aren. Staying in my tent only made the thoughts and paranoia stronger. I crawled out of the dark confides and ran to the outskirts of the base, I didn't bother taking Eun or anything to defend myself with.

The cool morning air brushed its fingers through my damp hair, its cold breath blowing against my drenched clothes.

I stopped abruptly in a field of swaying grass and collapsed onto my knees, the early morning dew sinking into my clothes. Fresh sets of years rained down from me swollen eyes. I silently begged myself to stop crying but that only made the salty droplets drizzle down harder. It physically hurt to cry now. I was aching, it felt like someone had poured acid on my eyes and drilled a hole in my heart. Dying didn't sound like such a bad idea anymore.

"Look what we got here." A male voice chimed behind me.

I gasped and jumped up to my feet. Spinning myself around I came face to face with Lu and Ciel. Ciel had his gun aimed at my head while Lu greeted me with a toothy smile.

I closed my fists, instantly regretting not taking Eun along. I wanted to kill them. I wanted to have their blood stained on my hands.

"What do you want from me?!" I screamed. "W-what else do you want to take?"

"Wow we're not here to fight." Lu held up both her hands—the claws she bared in battle now gone. "Even if we were you wouldn't stand a chance."

"I don't have anything to say to you." I spat. Blood pounded wildly in my head.

"We'll make it quick, human." Lu reassured. "I'm just curious about you."

I arched my brow at her comment.

"You share power with a demon and you even have a monster for an ally." She rubbed her chin. "I don't understand why you're loved by them. You're just like any human and yet our own kind has sided with you."

"Why would you care?" I challenged.

"Oh I care very much," Lu twisted her arms behind her and smirked. "As a former princess of demons I must know why you are so loved by that fox and monster."

Princess? Since when did the demons have a kingdom?

"You seem confused." Lu pointed out softly. "I'm not surprised. My kingdom was wiped out years ago by your kind. Today it is nothing but ruins." Her blue eyes flared with hatred, they burned for bloodshed.

I swallowed," t-that has nothing to do with me."

"Your species killed everything." She seethed through clenched teeth. "You're lucky I don't have orders to kill you yet, human."

So she lost everything too and yet we're standing on opposing teams.

"So, human, what is your name?" Lu tilted her head.

"I don't need to tell you."

Ciel placed a finger in the trigger," answer her." He ordered.

If I had my spear with me I would've attacked him by now. With a scowl I answered," It's Ara." Ciel's muscles relaxed at my cooperation.

"Ara, eh?" Lu rolled my name out slowly. "So, Ara, where do you hail from?"

I didn't see the reason to tell them but I knew Ciel would only lose his temper if I didn't answer. When I meet him again I'll surely give him a good taste of my wrath.