Chapter 9

**Edited**

"Look, Ara!" Aren pointed to the group of men coming into the village. "Father's home!"

I squealed at the sound of my Father's arrival. He and some of the village's best warriors has finally come home a one month exploration, their goal was to hunt as many demons as they can before the migration.

I sprinted toward the crowd trickling around the men, Aren followed shortly behind. I could feel my eyes widening at the sight of the demon-filled wagons.

"Father!" I exclaimed at the man pushing past the crowd. "Father, welcome home!"

Father's baggy eyes brightened once they landed on me.

"Ara, come give me a hug!" Father opened his arms for me. I instinctively rushed into his embrace. "You've grown taller." He said, ruffling my hair.

Normally I'd get mad when someone messed up my hair, but today was special.

"Aren has grown really strong lately." I told him as he freed me from his buff arms. "He almost beat Mother during spar."

"I wasn't that strong," Aren piped in, rubbing the back of his neck. "I-I just got used to some new skills, that's all."

Father smiled at my brother," you make me proud, son." Aren's mouth twitched into a small smile.

"Welcome home, honey." Mother piped in behind us. Aren and I stepped aside so Mother could embrace Father.

Father broke his hug with me to kiss Mother on the cheek," this year's catch was very successful."

Mother's eyes widened at the news," t-that's wonderful." She was smiling from ear to ear now. "We will surely celebrate with a massive dinner tonight."

While Moth and Father exchanged ideas for tonight's dishes, I curiously peeked at the dead demons. I couldn't help but wonder what happened to the demons after they die. Can they still feel pain after death; or do they get reborn into a different life?

Father patted my head," what's wrong, Ara." He asked. "Are the dead demons scaring you?"

I shook my head," Father, what do the demons feel after they die?" My question made Father raise his brows. Aren, on the other hand, gasped.

"Ara, you don't just ask something like that." He slapped his forehead. Mother pursed her lips at my brother.

"Why do you ask, sweetheart?" Father asked, ignoring Aren's comment.

"Well, the elders always say our souls don't die. Does that mean they feel the pain when we cut them up?"

"Are you dumb?" Aren punched me on the arm. "It's bad luck to talk about death."

"Aren," Mother crossed her arms. "Don't say that to your sister."

"But it's true," Aren groaned.

Father laughed," it is fine, Aren. Curiosity is just another step towards knowledge." Father kneeled down to my eye level. "Ara, tell me what you remember about spirits."

I felt Mother's eyes on me. This was a lesson she taught me herself, but like any other lesson that requires listening, I wasn't totally paying attention.