68

Elsword was very disappointed to hear he arrived to the battle too late, he even had both his swords charged up with the Wind Shard's power upon arrival. To make up for the lack of fighting Elsword and Raven both attacked the demon's body one last time to make sure it was truly dead. Once that was finished we continued our way further down the eerily hollow corridor. We reached the next set of stairs fairly quick and decided to call it a day---the next floor would be left for tomorrow's problem. Speka went back with several knights to get more troops in the secure the newly captured floor while the rest of us prepared for dinner.

We used the Fire Shard to heat up the food and water while the Wind Shard was used to clean up from debris and rocks from the recent fight. I found it hilarious that we were using two unimaginably deadly items to help clean up the place and cook some food.

Dinner went by in a flash and before I knew it we were preparing to sleep. My team chose to sleep closest to the next staircase, why we wanted to sleep near enemy borders was beyond me.

I kept to myself while everyone else prepared a space to rest. Besides having to rest on a stone ground, the worst part about tonight was how much of a third wheel I was. Eve and Raven whispered to each other about Amos' safety while settling themselves down, Speka was off assigning guard duty to different knights, Elsword and Aisha were already cuddling with each other, and Chung was too busy with Rena to even come say 'good night' to me.

"Rena, you should rest," I heard Chung whispering to Rena a few meters away from me. "We need all the strength we can get for tomorrow."

"Easy for you to say. At least you can still sleep." She answered flatly. "I can only recover from the lake back at the graveyard."

"I'm not letting you go running there in the middle of the night." He responded firmly. "That's too dangerous."

"I am strong enough to fight off the demons."

"But I don't want to lose you again." He choked on his words, Rena instantly went silent.

I rested my head on Yang's soft tummy and closed my eyes. For the first time I actually wanted to fall asleep, it was slightly better than overhearing Chung and Rena's private conversation.

"Fine, I will try to rest." She sighed, shuffling into a comfortable position.

"Good," I could already picture him smiling with relief at her answer. "I'll stay here and make sure nothing attacks you."

"Alright. Thank you, Chung." Once again her voice held no warmth toward him.

"Just let me do something real quick first. I'll get back with you as soon as I can."

"Take your time." She answered. "I will not be going anywhere soon."

I made sure to keep myself as still as possible at the sound of his approaching footsteps. I silently prayed for him to pass me without any suspicions, my heart skipped a beat once his footsteps stopped beside me.

"I know you're still awake," he whispered. I kept my eyes firmly shut and deepened my breathing, hoping he'll fall for my act. "Look I'm sorry about whatever I did to upset you. Can I at least get an insult or punch from you?"

I bit on my lower lip to hold back the grin wanting to form on my lips. It was just too easy to insult someone like him.

"Whatever," he sighed after a moment of silence. "I hope you'll be able to sleep tonight. See ya' tomorrow, Ara"

Without another word his footsteps retreated away from me and back to Rena. I cracked my eyes open once I was sure he left---I sighed and relaxed my tensed limbs.