43

Heads up, this is a more lengthy chapter, read with a nice little snack, a comfortable place, and if it's cold, cuddle in in a warm blanket >o<

Chung, Eve, and I left the village first and was able to cover a large chunk of land before noon hit. The afternoon weather wasn't as merciless as Bethma, we could walk out in the open sun without having our head roasted. There was also a constant breeze blowing throughout, cooling us from the sun's heat.

To my surprise, we didn't run into any large groups of Nasods. We would occasionally bump into a small group of mining Nasods, but we were able to take them out with ease.

I kept a close eye on Eve each time we came across Nasods, but she showed no emotion throughout the fights. It's as if she's stopped caring about her race---I doubt that's the case though.

She's most likely trying to control her emotions, not wanting us to worry about her well-being. I'm just worried she'll snap from the stress. I really hope she'll be able to confront someone soon about her emotions.

I don't know what time it was when we finally brought out some food to eat. Lunch wasn't as impressive as I had hoped, it had consisted of several apple slices, some lettuce, and what appeared to be fried bugs---I gave that part to Chung.

We ate our meal in silence, no one bothered to comment on the horribly made meal as we were busy keeping our ears out for danger.

"Do you think the other group came across anything?" Chung asked abruptly, and took a bite out of an apple slice.

"Maybe." I replied, swallowing the last of the lettuce. "They probably didn't get as far as us though. We did leave earlier than them."

"I refuse to return unless we come across something today." Eve piped in, as she quickened her pace." We could be wandering all night for all I care."

"We can't just wander aimlessly out here." Chung said, swallowing the last of his meal. "If we can't find anything today then we need to try again another day."

"That would be a waste of time." Eve responded, with tensed shoulders. "We need all the information we can about the Nasods, the longer we go on without it the more vulnerable we become."

"Wandering all night would exhaust us, and it'd leave us even more vulnerable." Eve stopped in her tracks at Chung's comment.

"You do not understand the seriousness of the situation." She said, before continuing to walk.

Chung laughed in response," I fully understand what's happening and what position we're in. It's you who has trouble seeing our problems."

"Don't talk to me like that, peasant." Eve's drones hovered defensively beside her in attempts to show their support for her.

Chung tightened his fists together, with eyes locked on Eve. For a moment it appeared Chung was ready to attack Eve, but before I could interject he spoke up,

"I've had enough of this act." He took a sharp breath in. "The problem with you is that you let your emotions take over."

My heart dropped at the sound of his comment. I darted my eyes between Eve and Chung, suddenly feeling scared at Eve's possible reaction.

"Nasods do not--"

"Don't pull that 'no emotion card' on me again." Chung cut her off.