Chapter 8

**Edited**

We returned to Ruben just as the sun began to set. Dinner was cooked and prepared by the time Chung and I returned from our long day, everyone else was already back. After a warm shower and a satisfying meal to end the day, we huddled in the living room where each group shared their findings.

To much of my surprise, nearly everyone came home empty handed. Elsword and Aisha spent their entire day wandering Elder's complex sewer system only to find nothing but waste. Eve shared her group's findings on strange weather events, but the only connection it had with our case was the wind. Finally it was our turn to share, Chung didn't waste a second to spill all the new information gathered.

I attempted to pipe in and add a few details, but Chung refused to let me bask in our victory. I had no choice but to grind my teeth and stay silent.

"Those are some very useful findings and concerns," Lowe rubbed his chin. "Perhaps we've been overlooking something down in the sewers."

"Ugh, don't tell me we have to go down there again." Aisha was looking green. "I can't stand it down there."

"This baby nearly threw up." Elsword explained nonchalantly. That earned him a slap to the head from Aisha.

"S-sorry, Lowe, but there's no way I'll be going down there again." Aisha shivered. "I-I refuse to go through that tomorrow."

"The only lead we have now is the story on Wally." Echo pointed out bluntly. "The sewers are our only hope right now."

Aisha groaned, slumping into her seat. She whispered something under her breath, probably complaining about the location of Wally's treasure.

"S-so what can we do now?" Raven piped in sheepishly.

"How about we avoid the sewers?" Aisha suggested, still green in the face.

Ignoring her comment, Lowe replied," I would like to learn more about Wally's unique hobby. If the woman's tale is true, there must be a book that documents his interest and findings."

"I like that idea," Echo said, licking a red lollipop. "I think our library holds all of Elder's past books. I'll contact them tonight and see if we can read them."

"Thank you, Echo." Lowe nodded curtly. "As for everyone else, I'll assign you all different tasks for tomorrow, you will be working in the same group."

I folded my arms and scowled. Of all the people I could work with, why did it have to be Chung? What did I do to deserve a toxic partner like him?

Then who did I want to partner up with? A voice at the back of my head challenged. It's not like I'm close with anyone. It'd be awkward to work with anyone regardless; well, maybe not with Elsword.

Flashes of Elsword and I patrolling Elder together, alone, raced through my head. My cheeks warmed at the simple thought, but I found strange satisfaction from the diea

"Eve and Raven will be in charge of patrol, Elsword and Aisha will search through further newspaper articles until Echo gets a response from the library, and our final group will patrol the sewers."

Once again my excitement for an official mission melted into dust. It was bad enough that I was stuck with Chung; but now I had to patrol a stinking sewer with him? This world really must hate me

"That is all for today," Lowe said, helping himself up to his feet; Echo flung her backpack over one shoulder and jumped up. "I want everyone to get some good rest tonight. Tomorrow will be just as busy."

"Allow me to show you two out." Eve offered.

Everyone wished the duo a goodnight on their way out.