Prologue

**Edited** (I tend to edit these late at night so if something doesn't sound right please comment on it.)

I learned two important things during mother's lecture. First, the afternoon heat was as comforting as a blanket, I was moments away from passing out. Second, it was much harder to stay awake than to pretend to pay attention. All I wanted was to cuddle up in my soft bed and drift into a land made of candy—that didn't help me stay awake much.

"Ara!" I yelped at mother's sudden outburst. Mother sighed and put her hands on her hips. "Can you repeat what I just said?"

"Umm," I forced a smile. "Y-you used a lot of big words. I-I don't know what you said."

Mother pinched the top of her nose and whispered something under her breath," I guess that'll end today's lesson." I held myself back from cheering. "Just remember that not all demons are bad. Good can only exist if evil exists."

"But demons are scary." I frowned. "If they were good Father and Aren wouldn't have to hunt them."

"You are too young to understand, daughter." Mother placed her soft hand on my head and smiled. "When you are older you will surely know the weight of my words. For now, my job is to introduce this concept to you."

"Then I wanna grow up soon," I said, swinging my legs back and forth. "I wanna understand grown up things too."

"In time, Ara," Mother slipped her hand off my head.

She strolled over to the walk-in closet by the front door and slid open the squeaky wooden door just wide enough for me to catch a glimpse of my grandmother's golden spear. A speck of sunlight bounced off the shiny blade, I had to squint my eyes under its brightness.

"Shall we get started on today's training?" Mother asked, taking out my wooden training spear in one hand and my shoes in the other.

"Yeah," I hopped off my seat and ran to her. "I need to work hard so I can be one hundred times stronger than Aren."

"That's a big goal, Ara." Mother laughed as she handed me my shoes. "I might need to increase the difficulty of your training."

"I can handle it," I replied, stuffing my bare feet into the shoes. "I need to if I'm gonna beat Aren up."

*****

Most kids trained at Sandtilus Grave, they say the long trip there will help build stamina. Father didn't want me to train with everyone else because I often had trouble keeping up with the big kids. Instead, I trained at the Temple Of The Wind which was much closer to home.

Father and Mother used to come help me train, sometimes Aren would tag along and teach me, but lately only Mother was able to go with me. Father has been busy with work and Aren left for a month-long hunting trip. I wasn't mad, though. Mother was a good teacher and she always gave me a challenge

I was beating up wooden dummies, as usual, today while Mother watched from the side, sometimes she'd stop me to explain what I did wrong. I was almost done my training when I saw someone join Mother. I looked over and nearly squealed at the bearded man grinning at me.

Father got off work early! I thought, turning my attention back on the dummy. I need to make him proud.

"Falling Dragon!" I slammed my wooden spear down on the dummy, ripping it in two almost instantly. I cheered, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Wonderful job, Ara!" Mother and Father clapped together.

"Father," I ran into his big open arms. He lifted me up from the ground and crushed me with a hug.