Chapter 11: Tesseract

Jake's POV
Phil and I waited patiently for Director Fury. I was assigned to work on and keep an eye on the Tesseract. But over the past few months that I worked on it, it hasn't misbehaved, like it is doing this past few hours.

I suggested to Fury to contact Riley about it because she's partially an expert with The Tesseract but he declined it. He says that she has some other business to take care of and of course I know what he meant by that. She needs to be here working with us to solve this problem rather than working with Stark trying to get him to love her. Which in my opinion is still filled with bullshit. She better remember our promise.

Walking out of the helicopter is Agent Maria Hill and Agent Director Fury. They approached Phil and I.

"How bad is it?" Asks Fury.

I took off my sunglasses. Even though it's dark, I still like to wear them. I'm a tool sure but it makes me look even more dangerous.

"That's the problem, sir." I say.

"We don't know," adds Phil.

We lead Hill and Fury through the radiation section of the facility.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract 4 hours ago," Phil informs them.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase," says Fury.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement." I inform.

"It just turned itself on?" Asks Hill.

I simply nod.

"What are the energy levels now?" Asks Fury.

"Climbing. When Williams and Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac." Explains Phil.

"How long to get everyone out?" Asks Fury.

"Campus should be clear the next half hour," answers Phil.

"Do better," Fury demands sternly.

Fury orders Phil to help evacuate and Hill to make sure that Phase 2 is securely evacuated. I led Fury to where the room where the Tesseract was kept.

"Talk to me doctor," demands Fury.

Dr Erik Selvig emerges from behind the machine holding the Tesseract. I can detect fear he held in his eyes. I'm quite good at reading people.

"Director," he says a he walks up to us.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Asks Fury.

I watched the Tesseract as it's glowing brighter and small flare rings shot out randomly from it. Any minute now I can tell an outburst will occur. This Tesseract is the most powerful thing in the Earth at the moment and can destroy this whole building with no difficulty.

"Tesseract is misbehaving," says Selvig.

Fury looked at him with a raised brow.

"Is that suppose to be funny?" He ask.

I frowned. Do you really think we have time to be funny? Of course it's not suppose to be funny.

"No, its not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's... Misbehaving," says Selvig seriously.

"How soon untill you pull the plug?" Fury questions me.

I ran my rough hands through my messy hair. I've been stressing over this damn Tesseract for months now and I really need a break.

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level-" Fury cuts me off.

"We've prepared for this, agent," he says sternly.

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation," I explained to him with a sigh.

"That can be harmful. Where's Barton?" He asks.

Dr Selvig smirks, "The Hawk? Up in his nest as usual."

"Agent Barton, report," orders Fury.

I just walked along with Clint and Fury as Clint explains to Fury.

I still can't see why we can't call in Riley. She would've probably solved all this out. Plus I miss her, so much.

Suddenly the Tesseract thunders and shakes the entire facility. Flare of rings and glow of the cube spout out brighter and louder. Oh shit. This is what I was worried about it.

A beam starts to build up from the tesseract's energy. The beam forms a vortex and it shoots out gust of blue energy cloud in the room. I covered my face with my arm.

I heard heavy breathing from the platform. I took out my pistol and pointed it towards the platform. The guards slowly approached with the weapons in their hand cocked on the same direction. I see the smoke clearing off a bit. I see a figure kneeling down on the platform.

A man with long black slick hair, different weird clothing attire, and a spear in his hand. I clenched my jaws. Who is this guy? His eyes snapped towards Fury, Clint, Selvig, and I. He stood up.

"Sir, please put down the spear," says Nick.

The man looks at his spear and suddenly points it at us. My eyes widen as blue exploding light was shot our way.

I quickly tackled Selvig before we got hit. Whew that was close.

Everyone started firing their weapon at Loki but it just bounced off him. He jumped up and started attacking the guards with the blade of his spear and energy blast from his spear.

I helped Selvig up. I need to get the Tesseract out of here. I see Clint tries to stand up but Loki quickly approached him. Clint raises his hand but Loki grabs his wrist.

"You have a heart," I hear the man say. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. He points the head of his spear at Barton's chest. Barton's eyes went black and turns into a bright abnormal deep blue. Barton put his gun away and stands up straight.

I quietly approached where Fury is. I took the Tesseract and placed it in his case. We tried to leave the lab.

"Please don't I still need that." Says the man. I stepped up covering Fury.

"This doesn't have to get any messier." I tell him as I raised my gun towards his head.

I took a step forward him. He chuckles. I fired a bullet but he dodged it and gripped tightly on my wrist, like what he did with Clint. He is surprisingly strong. I struggled from his grip.

"You will be very useful," he smirks as he points the spear on my chest.

Suddenly, I felt something shoot throughout my body mostly my head. And I was unable to control myself anymore.