Chapter 28: Anxiety Attack

Riley's POV:

I ran and ran as fast as I can.

"There's nowhere to run, Riley!" I hear Trent taunting voice echoing through the dark hallway.

A seven year old me stopped as I see that there's no where else to go. It's a dead end. I placed my small hand on the cold wall. I heat up my hand. Nothing. I felt my energy drain so I stopped.

I hear footsteps. I took a deep breath as I pointed my hand towards the direction. Trent appeared with a sickening smirk. Tons of HYDRA soldiers followed him.

"Always trying to find a way out. You know you should be smart enough to know that you're never leaving this place." He said walking up to me.

I shot him a fire ball. He easily dodged it. I felt my tears stream down. I tried to punch him but he caught my fist. He took out a needle and stabbed it on my neck. I felt painful jolts shoot throughout my body. I screamed in pain.

Trent punched me on the face making me collapse on the ground. I started breathing heavily as I tried to ignore the pain. Trent bent down to look at me.

"You're weak, you need more lessons. And your next lesson is... shock resisting." He took out his tazer.

My eyes widen. I wanted to fight back but I didn't have the energy and strength. He tazered me on my neck were he injected me, making it 100x more painful. I screamed.

I woke up screaming, panting and sweating. I took out my sword under my pillow and put my glasses on.

The light turned on. I look around. It was just another flashback. I dropped my sword. I look at Tony's side of the bed; empty. I sigh an whimpered.

"M'am are you okay?" Asks Jarvis.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead as I try to catch my breath.

"Y-ye-yeah, just another stupid flashback," I stuttered.

"I suggest you take your medications," said Jarvis.

I started having flashbacks in my sleep causing me anxiety attacks ever since the attack in New York happened. It doesn't happen every time but it happens about 4-5 times a month, sometimes even more, sometimes less. I got up on my feet.

I look at the time. It's only 3 am. Great. Only 4 hours of sleep. I picked up my pills beside the lamp. Jake made this for me. It works most of the time. I tossed one in my mouth and I drank water. I swallowed and immediately I started to calm down.

I head to the bathroom and did my morning routines. I changed into my work attire and put my contacts on.

I still work half time with SHIELD and the other half of my time is working as CEO at Stark Industries. Since Tony is always busy with his suits. Honestly though, it's starting to sorta piss me off.

Ever since New York, which was like, almost 5 months ago, he's always working on his suits. Nothing's been the same since New York.

"Jarvis, tell Tony that I'm heading to work and that I love him." I tell Jarvis.

Jarvis responded with a yes, like always. I went outside and got into my silver Audi sports car. I started the engine and drove to SHIELD base. I arrived by 4:30. I parked my car on my spot in the parking lot.

I see Jake's black Dodge Ram truck. I haven't seen him for a week or two. I entered the building. I showed the security my ID and they automatically let me in. I went straight to my office.

The door barged open and in came Jake. The guy needs to learn how to knock. He plops down on the chair across from me.

"You're here early... Way too early." He said crossing his arms on his chest.

I groaned and bury my face in my hands.

"Another anxiety attack?" He asks.

I nod. I removed my hand from my face.

"It's the second time Tony didn't even come up from his basement to come check up on me." I tell him with a frown.

He shakes his head.

"You want me to talk to him?" He asks me.

I shook my head.

"I'll take care of it." I assure him.

"You look restless. When was the last time you had a full at least 5 hour sleep?" He asks.

I bit my lip.

"Almost a month ago," I admit in a mutter.

He shakes his head again and face palmed himself.

"You gotta head back home and rest Riley." He tells me.

"No way. I don't wanna see more painful things from my past." I said shaking my head.

"But you have to rest from time to time." He tells me.

"How can I? Every time I got to sleep and I see all those flashbacks, I feel the pain again and again and I'm tired of feeling those pain!" I snapped at him.

He looks at me with pity.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled rubbing my temples.

"It's okay, I understand but being here this early for work is going to stress you even more. And last time I checked, Fury didn't give us a mission or anything." He said raising his eyebrows.

"It's not for Fury. It's for myself." I tell him.

"What do you mean?" He asks furrowing his eyebrows.

"I'm always keeping track of David. And I've been trying to locate Trent." I answered him.

"How's that going?" He asks his eyes flashed with curiosity.

"Successful with David. But nothing for Trent." I sighed.

"Okay, you're stressing yourself way too much. Cmon let's hang out later, take Tony with us if you want." He suggests.

"Sorry, I have to finish a file for Agent Hill which will take like hours. And I apparently have an 'important' meeting with someone in Stark Industries. And it's Tony and I's date night." I said giving him an apologetic smile.

He made a sour face.

"I don't even want to know know what you and Tony do during your date night," he said pretending to puke making me laugh.

"I'd love to tell you every detail," I tell him with a smirk.

He pretend to puke again and said, "please don't."

I opened my mouth to pretend to say something. He covered his ears quickly and started shaking his head. I started laughing.

I know he's just doing this to make me laugh which I'm thankful for because I really need it.