Chapter 55: This Is It

Riley's POV:

Ever since Steve confessed to me that he loves me, he has completely ignored me since then. It's actually bothering me. I hate it when people ignores me. I heard a knock on my door. I closed my laptop.

"Come in."

The door opened and David entered my bedroom.

"How're you feeling?" He asked me as he sat across from me.

"I'm still alive so I'm good, I guess," I said mumbling the last part.

I still feel dead inside though. My best friend has been kidnapped, I'm fighting my own long lost brothers, I lost my powers out of nowhere, and most importantly I just got my heart broken into millions of pieces by the man I love. I feel like I have nothing to really live for anymore.

"It'll all be better soon, I promise." He told me.

I shook my head. "Don't make promises you can't keep."

"I always keep my promises. After we save Jake, we'll save your brothers and bring them back on the good side." He smiled.

"It's not that simple," I said being realistic.

"It's also not impossible. Look, I know horrible things has been happening but you can't just give up. You're not even trying to get your best friend back anymore." He said as he shook his head.

I sighed.

"Nothing has been the same ever since New York. I tried going back to how it was before but then I realized, I can't anymore because things changed and there's no such thing as going back to normal. Everyday just keeps getting worst and worst. I just don't know what the purpose of anything anymore." I confessed to him.

"When I lost your mother, I felt the exact same way. I lost sense on who I really was. I couldn't handle the pain, knowing that she's gone. Then I lost you and your brothers which made me even more insane. I thought of giving up but I couldn't because I wanted to make things right with you. You're the reason why I'm still alive." He told me softly.

I nod my head. I smiled.

"I'm glad you didn't give up," I told him.

He smiled back. I bit my lip as a question popped up in my head.

"What do you think of Tony?" I asked him as I glanced at the floor then back to him.

"I thought that Tony was great. He changed you for the better and I really saw the strong connection between you two. I still think that he's the man that you're going to marry in the future. I'm mad at him though, for breaking your heart. Sometimes, if you truly love somebody, you have to let them go their own ways and if it's true love, it'll always find its way back to you."

He's right. What's meant to be, will be.

"I just... No matter how much pain he cost me, I just can't make myself to hate him." I sighed.

"That's because you love him. You can't hate someone and at the same time love them."

"I just want to get him out of my head," I said as I ran my hand roughly through my hair.

"Try focusing on someone else or something else" he told me.

How can I? I just simply nod my head, even though I don't completely agree with him.

"Well I'm going to go back to work now," said David as he got up from his chair.

I got up from my chair too.

"David," he turned around to look at me.

"Thanks for being a good dad," I smiled.

He grinned. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting to hear that," he said.

I pulled him into a tight hug. My phone rang. I pulled away from the hug and took my phone out. I furrowed my eyebrows as I didn't recognize the number. I answered and put it on speaker.

"Guess who?" Asked a familiar voice that I recognize so well.

I clenched my jaw.

"Is this some asshole named Victor Trent?" I asked sarcastically.

"Bingo!" He exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes.

"Look Im sure that you didn't call to inform us where you're keeping Jake. What do you want Trent?" I asked him seriously.

"Nothing. Just checking up on you guys." He said.

I sneered. Bullshit. I heard a beep from his line.

"Well listen, I'm a busy evil scientist and I have a lot of things to attend to. I'll see you soon." He said trying to taunt me.

I ended the call. I smirked.

"We gotta go. He just tracked us, I heard the beep." Panicked David.

I chuckled.

"Relax... They won't find us," I said shaking my head.

"Trent called to track down your number," said David.

I smirked even bigger.

"His only problem is, my number is untraceable. The location he tracked down is a fake safe house in San Francisco that blows up when an intruder breaks in." I said smugly.

David clapped his hands.

"Smart ass," I heard him mumble as I typed a bunch of codes on my phone.

"What are you doing now?" He asked.

"I activated the fake safehouse and I just tracked that motherfucker's number," I told him.

"Where is he?" He questioned as he looked at my phone screen.

"Uhm, he's in Philadelphia, exactly an hour and a half of drive away from us," I informed him as I passed him my phone so he can check the map.

"This is it," sighed David.

I can feel the butterflies in my stomach, not because I'm scared... Oh who am I kidding? Yeah of course I'm scared. I'm going to face Trent and my brothers again.

David went to tell Steve the situation while I got in my costume. I stared at my palms. Still no powers. I sighed. I feel empty without them. I went to my voice mails on my phone. I opened one of Tony's voice mail from back then.

"Riley, it's me. I've got a lot of apologies to make and not a lot of time, so first off. I'm so sorry I put you in harm's way. That was selfish and stupid and it won't happen again.

I'm also sorry for not always being there for you when you need me and I'm sorry for not listening to you. Also, it's Christmas time. The rabbit's too big. Done. Sorry.

And I'm sorry in advance because... I can't come home yet I need to find this guy. And don't you dare say you'll find him too. I can't let you do that, Ri. Just promise me you won't.

I can't risk losing you and getting you into more danger. You gotta stay safe and I love you. That's all I know. I just stole a poncho from a wooden Indian."

The voice mail ended. I closed my eyes as I fought the tears that was close to escaping from my eyes. I miss him so much.