Chapter 44: Facing Trent

Riley's POV:

It's about 6 am now and I still haven't got any sleep. Every Time I try, I would always get flashbacks, painful ones. I closed my eyes again for another attempt to fall asleep.

"Boss! SHIELD is breaking their way in!" Reported one of Trent's soldier. Trent froze as he stopped torturing me.

"Get my emergency vehicle ready to go." He ordered to his soldier.

The soldier saluted and left. Trent turned back his attention to me. He grabbed me by my neck and slowly started to strangle me. I couldn't fight back since I was tightly tied on a chair.

"Are you happy that they're finally here to save you?" He asked as I gasped for air.

"This won't be the last time you'll see me, Riley. I'll come back and ruin your life once again. I promise" He smirked.

By this time, I could feel myself about to past out. He finally let go of my neck and I started breathing as much as I could. Trent sprinted his way out.

"H-hel-help!" I yelled weakly.

Different types of pain were going throughout my body. The door was barged open. I see a man with a black SHIELD uniform and black face helmet who was carrying a big gun. He rushed over to me. He quickly untied me from the chair and he picked me up.

"You're safe now, don't worry," I heard him muttered.

I opened my eyes. I sighed. That flashback was when I finally got saved by SHIELD. Up to this day, I still don't know who that man was, the one who got me out of there. Trent's promise keeps repeating in my head over and over again.

My thoughts were interrupted by soft snores. I looked to me side and found Tony fast asleep. He mumbled something I couldn't hear and he flinched. I sat up putting my glasses on and placed my hand on his arm.

"No!" He exclaimed as he starts shaking and sweating.

"Tony, wake up!" I started to shake him.

He jolt up and his eyes opened immediately. He started breathing heavily.

"Tony, what's wrong?" I asked him softly rubbing his back.

He took a deep breath and he rested his head on my shoulder. I combed his soft hair with my fingers.

"I thought it was real," I heard him mutter.

"What was?" I asked.

"That Trent captured us and they killed you," he said as his head left my shoulder.

I can see the pain visible in his eyes. It's the same eyes I saw back then when he didn't catch me and he thought I was dead.

"That'll never happen because I will be the one to kill him," I assured him.

"And the worst part was that... I failed to save you once again." He said running his hand roughly through his hair.

"Tony it was just a nightmare, it won't come true." I assured him.

I heard my phone rang. I opened the lamp and answered my phone.

"Hey, are you ready?" It was Jake.

"Not quite yet," I said.

"Well we need you and Tony at the headquarters in Texas by no later than 8 am." He informed me.

I glanced at the clock, it's 6:45. It takes about 3 hours to get to Texas from New York. We'll make it in time, somehow.

"We'll be there," I responded.