Chapter 57: It's Time To Go

Riley's POV:

The memory of killing Alex flooded in my vision as I killed a Hydra soldier. I sprinted outside, I can't stand being in there for another second. Trent and Brian escaped. I felt numb and broken at the same time. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I didn't bother looking at whoever it is. I kept my eyes on the ground.

"We finished searching the whole place. What do you want to do with it now?" It's Steve.

I clenched my jaws. "Destroy it," I told him.

I just wanna get rid of that place and all the bad memories that happened inside it. There was an uncomfortable silence between us, I hated it.

"I'm heading back to the Shield base." I told him.

I head inside the car that we used to get here. I drove my way to the nearest Shield base which is in New York. By the time I got there Steve and the others are really at the base. I went straight to my office, ignoring the pity looks I got from the agents.

I sat down on my chair and I closed my eyes. I just want all the pain to go away. I was interrupted by someone barging in my office. I opened my eyes and found a beautiful little girl. She has long light brown hair, bright green eyes, and light skin. She was panting as if she was getting chased.

"I-I-I'm s-s-sorry," she stuttered.

The door was barged open again but this time it was a bunch of agents. The little girl ran to my side.

"M'am, that girl sneaked out of her room," said one of the agents.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What's wrong with that?

"Can't a little girl get some fresh air?" I asked.

"Not until Director Hill is done interrogating her, m'am." Answered a different agent.

I looked at the little girl. She has tears streaming down from her eyes.

"You can leave now, I'll take care of her," I told them.

"But m'am-" I cut him off.

"I said leave," I said sternly.

Once they left, I turned back to the little girl.

"What's your name?" I asked her softly.

"Ashley," she said quietly.

"How old are you, Ashley?"

"I'm 8."

"Who are your parents? Where are they?" I questioned her

"My mommy's name is Sadie but she died giving birth to me and everyone here said that my daddy is dead too," she said her voice quivering.

"Who's your dad?" I asked curiously.

"His name is Aqua," she said.

I froze. I'm looking at my niece. I'm looking at a young innocent girl who now doesn't have a father because I killed him. She's looking at her aunt who she has no idea killed her father. I pulled her into a tight hug and surprisingly she hugged back.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered.

We pulled away.

"Why are you sorry?" She asked.

I froze. I can't just tell her that I killed her dad.

"I just am," I said not knowing what to say.

"Do you know my parents?" She asked.

"I knew your dad. He was my older brother," I told her.

She smiled.