S1-8 | Setting Sun

Vote/Comment if you liked the story. Thank you :-D

"I'm sorry. This is for your own sake." She whispered and closed the door behind her. I heard a faint click of the lock and realized with dread that she had locked me up.

It was the very thing I am afraid to know - I had become a Prisoner.

VIII. Setting Sun

Sleep never came. I lay down on the bed, staring off in the ceiling, the questions plundering my weary mind. Yet I couldn't bear to close my eyes. I watched the shadows warily, picturing something grotesque to step out from the shadows. For a monster to devour me and start my nightmare all over again. It never came and instead the thoughts swirled in my head dangerously.

I could still picture Jonah's transformation in my head so vividly as if it was happening before me again. I could almost hear the snapping of his bones as it dislocated and bend in odd angles. I shivered at the memory. He was one of them too. Does it mean Mr. and Mrs. Collins are werewolves too? What does Roarke want from them? Why did he killed them? What did he meant by owning me?

I slowly exhaled. The stale hours of the night had passed slowly. Dawn was breaking soon. I rolled over to my side, watching the gray skies slowly dissolved to white.

I could just jump off from the balcony. End everything at once. But an indescribable feeling gnawed at my stomach. I didn't heard the door open nor did I hear footsteps yet I know someone was inside the room with me. I could smell him. All woodsy and minty yet mild and slightly different from Roarke. His identity sparked in my mind and without turning around I knew that someone was Jonah.

"You didn't sleep." He stated. His voice was near and as I glanced back, I saw him standing not a foot away from the bed, hands tucked deep down on the side pockets of his pants. He wore a white polo shirt and Nike shoes. His hair was combed back neatly but what irked me about him the most was his bright blue eyes that seemed to glow in the dim light.

This child is one of them. Dread filled me. And here I thought I was protecting a fragile boy. I was fooled by his innocent face.

I involuntarily flinched as he stepped closer. He stopped and regarded me silently.

"I-I...couldn't...sleep." I said with so much difficulty, my throat felt parched, my mouth dry and feels like cotton.

"I heard you and Tasha talking last night. She told you what we are. Are you afraid?" he asked with an innocent tilt of his head.

"Yes." The words stumbled out without meaning to.

To my surprise, Jonah smiled. A childish smile that confused me more. "I've always liked how honest you are. You want answers? I could give you some. But you must not be afraid of me."

It was easier said than done. Jonah was a precocious child, his maturity a dichotomy with his young age.

He waited patiently, casually looking around the room curiously. I swallowed a lump in my throat and fight the dizziness that suddenly dawned on me.

"I will try but I can't promise that."

"Fair enough." He agreed and with a bounce on his step, walk to the bed and sat there. He gazed up at me and I stiffly followed his lead and sat down as well.

"Ask away please." He started, playing with a wooden horse that he suddenly produced out of his pocket. He looked so normal, anyone could be fooled, but there was that glint in his eyes that said otherwise.

"W-why did Roarke killed your parents?" I asked shakily.

It took him sometime to answer. "They were not my real parents. I am not who you think I am. "